Textexpander and NW3

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Matze

Textexpander and NW3

Post by Matze »

Hi there,

I am having problems running Textexpander 4.3.6 with NW3 (demo) as I have running it with NW 2.1.
It still does not work at all.

Can anyone help?

Best, Matze
MacSailor

Re: Textexpander and NW3

Post by MacSailor »

I do not know about version 4.3.6, but 5.1.4 is working with NW3. I do not use TextExpander anymore, prefer Typinator nowadays.
Peter Edwardsson
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hi MacSailor,

thanks for your reply. I didn't want to pay for that upgrade, so I lived with TE 4.3.6 and NWP 2.1 without it. But now, where NWP3 seems to be a much better version and I will work with Nisus more often again, I would miss TE.

What let you switch to Typinator?

Best Matze

Edit: I have found this page on https://www.ergonis.com/products/tips/s ... inator.php
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

The main reason for the switch was the fact that I do not like their subscription model for the newer versions of TE. And the Typinator worked better on my MBP. The TextExpander had far more problems than I have ever experienced with Typinator. I haven’t regretted the switch at all. Typinator works like a charm.
Peter Edwardsson
Matze

Post by Matze »

Thanks for your recommendation, Peter,

I've tested the demo-version (after a restart it worked) and it does work with NW 3. So I will switch, too, and update to NW 3.

Alle the best, Matze
Matze

Post by Matze »

Arrgh!

Typinator works only with ordinary abbreviations in NW3. If I use an abbreviation with a field NW fails to insert the whole expression.
This is what happens:
for example: I want to use the abbreviation ",dub" which stands for "Duden Bedeutungswörterbuch Stichwort "{{?Feld 1}}"". In any other app typing ",dub" lets a window pop up that says: "Feld1: " (with a field to type in a keyword of that dictionary, e.g. Wunder"), hitting ok replaces ",dub" in the textdocument with "Duden Bedeutungswörterbuch Stichwort "Wunder" "

This is what happens in NW
After clicking okay, "Duden Bedeutungswörterbuch Stichwort "Wunder"" is copied to the clipboard (of Copy Em Paste) and then the cursor in NW deletes ",dub" in the NW document. That's it.

@Martin do you have an idea, what is going wrong here?

Best, Matze
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

Typinator always works perfectly for me in NWP and every other program. However, I don’t use the field feature of Typinator.

In your case, it seems you are not actually using the field to retrieve a predefined or stored value, but you merely want to move the insertion point to a position within your expansion text so that you then can type a word. Typinator allows you to insert a symbol within the expansion text to specify where you want the insertion point.

Also, have you submitted your question to Typinator's developer, Ergonis?
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

Matze wrote: 2018-10-25 11:11:27 This is what happens in NW
After clicking okay, "Duden Bedeutungswörterbuch Stichwort "Wunder"" is copied to the clipboard (of Copy Em Paste) and then the cursor in NW deletes ",dub" in the NW document. That's it.
Are you using a MacBook Pro?
If yes, you need to press additionally the fn-key after you hit OK (the lowest far left key on your keyboard.) That will do the trick.

I reported this behavior to the developer several years ago. He was not aware of any compatibly issues between Nisus and Typinator and was unable to reproduce the issue, so I assumed the glitch was on my side. Later, after I discovered the fn-trick, I forgot about the issue and never reported back to the developer that this glitch might be restricted to Nisus on MacBooks only.
In the past, this frequently happened when the insertion point was at the beginning of a line. In other positions it happened randomly on and off, especially if long text had to be inserted.

I don't use the field feature of Typinator, but I followed your description and got a perfect result after pressing the fn-key. However, I noticed some sluggish beginning, i.e., typing into the field took a long time, wrong letters were often inserted, etc. But after several attempts the feature finally seemed to kick in. But alas…, only for a short time; now it's back to a crawling speed again …. This needs to be reported to the developer.

In the meantime, you could perhaps use the following macro. It does exactly the same, and it also inserts typographical German quotation marks (unten, oben). And if you type Com + dub, it‘s almost no difference. :-)
Liebe Grüße nach Düsseldorf!

Code: Select all

$Wort = Prompt Input 'Wie lautet das Wort im Duden Bedeutungswörterbuch?', '', 'OK', ''
if ! $Wort
	exit
end
type text "Duden Bedeutungswörterbuch " & $Wort & " "
Find @Text<(?:\b\w+\b)>, 'rE'
$doc = Document.active
$selection = $doc.textSelection
$origLength = $selection.length
Select End
Type Text '“'
$selection.length = 0
$doc.setSelection($selection)
Type Text '„'
$selection.length = $origLength + 2
$doc.setSelection($selection)
Select End
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hello Þorvarður,

thanks a lot for your reply and your solutions. Perfect the Fn-Key does the trick.
Edit: It did, when I tested a shortcut, but it didn't work with two others :(
So I better use your macro.

I will report all these problems to the Typinator-Team. They are Austrian, so it will be easier for me.

Kveðja til Íslands (?) ;)
Matze

Post by Matze »

Dear Þorvarður,

your macro works flawlessly. Thanks a lot, Matze
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

Matze wrote: 2018-10-28 09:41:17 your macro works flawlessly.
I'm glad to hear you could use it.
And yes…, your Icelandic is impeccable. : -)
Matze

Post by Matze »

Google's Icelandic is impeccable ;)