Inability to open templates

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ted3125

Inability to open templates

Post by ted3125 »

Dear Forum,
I have just upgraded to Nisus Writer Pro 3. However I can't access my templates. When I try to do so from the Nisus Document Manager I get the following message:-

"The file "document_01.dot" could not
be opened.

The file “document_01” couldn’t be opened because
you don’t have permission to view it.
[NSCocoaErrorDomain - code 257]"

I don't understand what is happening, and I can't find the Documents folder in my home directory, nor the Nisus Documents folder. Where are my documents and templates? Why can't I open and read my own files? It's very puzzling!

Best wishes,
Ted Mason
ted3125

Re: Inability to open templates

Post by ted3125 »

Dear Forum,
I have remembered that my documents are in the Documents folder on iCloud.

Further, I have found that:-

1. If I tried to open the template from the Document Manager, either it the Template section or in the All Documents section I can't open the template and get the message in the post above.
2. If I use Finder and double click the template Nisus will open the template properly.
3. If I go back to Document Manager the template opens properly now, and I have an untitled file based on the template.

So Nisus is working fine now! But there is something odd somewhere with the file permissions if I have to use this work around to open other files and templates in Nisus.

Best wishes,
Ted Mason
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Inability to open templates

Post by martin »

Hi Ted,

I'm sorry you had trouble accessing your Document Manager files and templates.

The error messages you saw about permission are likely misleading. The denial is from the Mac system (macOS), but almost certainly refers to sandboxing, and not traditional file permissions. That's why you were able to open the files from the Finder. It's really that the system is denying Nisus Writer access to your flies, not you.

If you continue to have trouble there's a couple things you could try. Generally the goal will be to give Nisus Writer access to your files or folders by selecting the items in a standard system open dialog. For example, you might try reselecting your Document Manager folder by taking the following steps:

1. Open your Nisus Writer preferences.
2. Switch to the Doc Manager tab.
3. Click the "Choose" button next to the folder path display.
4. Select and confirm the existing folder in Apple's open dialog.

Please let us know if you have any questions or can't get things working smoothly.