Feature Request: Gmail Mboxes

Talk about InfoClick, our email search tool.
ScottinPollock

Feature Request: Gmail Mboxes

Post by ScottinPollock »

Recently, Google's Gmail added support for exporting your mail to Mbox files directly via Google Takeout. Currently, to database my Gmail, I have had to add my Gmail accounts to Apple Mail, download all of it, move it to a local mailbox, then copy that mailbox to my archived mail folder and then tell IC to look for new mail.

What a wonderful thing it would be for InfoClick to be able to index Mbox files exported directly from Google Takeout! Unfortunately, it seems unable to index these files.
Bob Stern

Re: Feature Request: Gmail Mboxes

Post by Bob Stern »

I don’t think you need to add gmail as an account in Apple Mail. Instead, I believe you can import the mbox file directly using the Apple Mail command: File > Import Mailboxes.
ScottinPollock

Post by ScottinPollock »

Interesting. Are you saying once I import the Mbox into Apple Mail, it will be index-able by IC?

Even if I then move it to my archived mailboxes folder?
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

All mailboxes that appear in the Apple Mail user interface are included in InfoClick's database, regardless of whether the mailbox is "On My Mac" (local storage only) or IMAP.

The term Archived has no special meaning in Apple Mail. I don’t know how you are defining your Archived mailbox, but the only thing that matters is whether you can see the mailbox and open its messages in Apple Mail (per the preceding paragraph).
ScottinPollock

Post by ScottinPollock »

I don't keep archived mail in Apple Mail. I move the mailboxes to an "Archived Mailboxes" folder on our server.

With that said, your solution works perfectly, thanks.