Is there a chance to get back, what we once had?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Matze

Is there a chance to get back, what we once had?

Post by Matze »

Hello Nisus folks,

I am user of NW Classic since Version 5.1 and I have praised your work in different nisus related newsgroups.
I have been a "100% NW is the best" user.
Then OSX came and I switched to a PB G4 (OS X 10.3.5 now)

Now NWE very slowly gets better and better and I am looking forward to getting back more and more old NW features.

One that I really miss in NWE is Word Count.
Stats in NWE only shows all characters/words/paras. Will we get back:
- sentences, lines as well?
- c/w/p/s in selected text?
- c/w/p/s until the cursor mark?

What I miss most is: Multiple character shortcuts.
Any chance to get this feature back?

This it is for now. There will be more questions arising while writing with NWE and I will ask for them the next time.

Thank you for your work and support, Matze
MacSailor

Re: Is there a chance to get back, what we once had?

Post by MacSailor »

Matze wrote:One that I really miss in NWE is Word Count.
I had nearly forgotten these features. Please brick these features back into NWE. 8)
Peter Edwardsson
Matze

On Getting back where I left my file...

Post by Matze »

Hi,

in NW you open a file and it opens the way you left it, when you did close it/save it the last time: cursor position, window size and window position, even a selection will be back. You continue working exaktly where you did stop. No scrolling, no searching, just go on typing.

will this very usefull feature be a part of NWE some day?

Best, Matze
gemboy27

I like that too

Post by gemboy27 »

This begs the question: how much do you want NWE to look like NW 6.5

I like NW 6.5, but not enough to operate in OS 9
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Matze

Re: I like that too

Post by Matze »

gemboy27 wrote:This begs the question: how much do you want NWE to look like NW 6.5
Hi,

no I don't want NWE to look like NW, I just want to NWE to function more like NW. I really appreciate many of those NWE GUI tools, but they could be more, well, as perfect as some of the NW features.

Best Matze
charles

Re: On Getting back where I left my file...

Post by charles »

Matze wrote:in NW you open a file and it opens the way you left it, when you did close it/save it the last time: cursor position, window size and window position, even a selection will be back. You continue working exaktly where you did stop. No scrolling, no searching, just go on typing.
Hi:

We do restore cursor position and window size in NWE now; we do not yet restore the selection, but we have it on our list!

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
JimWG@mac.com

Re: Nisus OS-X 6.5

Post by JimWG@mac.com »

Seasons Greetings!
Matze wrote:
gemboy27 wrote:This begs the question: how much do you want NWE to look like NW 6.5
Hi,

no I don't want NWE to look like NW, I just want to NWE to function more like NW. I really appreciate many of those NWE GUI tools, but they could be more, well, as perfect as some of the NW features.

Best Matze
You know, this gets me! Nisus has nothing to be ashamed of in creating Nisus Writer 6.5 or secretly harboring a desire to create a OS-X version of NW 6.5. Nisus touched all the write bases with 6.5 and should use it as a target goal for a OS-X version. This is certainly the example Mariner's taking after, if not that Nisus on the Med, Mellel. Heck, I'd gladly slap up a development fee just to get (gasp!) "Nisus OS 6.5" up and running (wasted enough on iCab, so heck). I hope that the evolution of any Nisus WP in OS-X is to indeed achieve NW 6.5's talents if not beyond. I don't want to sound a nationalistic bigot here, but I'd really rather sink my bucks to keep jobs developing a fully American WP and right now, outside Word, Nisus is really the only native son in town.

James Greenidge
Matze

Re: Nisus OS-X 6.5

Post by Matze »

JimWG@mac.com wrote:Seasons Greetings!

SNIP

Nisus is really the only native son in town.
I second this. Nisus seems to be the only team, that has been albe to build such a wonderful piece of software like NW and I can not imagine why they shouldn't be able to do so in OSX as well.

I just want to know which of NWs great tools will become part of NWE and when.

One more feature? Position in Find/Replace. Almost indispensable.

Best, Matze
Matze

Post by Matze »

charles wrote: We do restore cursor position and window size in NWE now; we do not yet restore the selection, but we have it on our list!

-Charles
Hi Charles,

how do you mean now? What version? I have 2.1.1 and there is no restoring of cursor position.

Best Matze
charles

Post by charles »

Matze wrote:Hi Charles,

how do you mean now? What version? I have 2.1.1 and there is no restoring of cursor position.

Best Matze
Excuse me, I miswrote! I meant that we restore window size and position. We do not currently restore cursor position or selection.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
charles

Post by charles »

Just to follow up in a bit more detail on your posts:
Matze wrote: One that I really miss in NWE is Word Count.
We current do support charactes/words/paragraphs for selected text. Just select some text and look at the Stats palette.

How do you use the sentence and line counts? Are these values you need to have available absolutely all the time or just periodically?

Matze wrote: What I miss most is: Multiple character shortcuts.
We do have this on our list, but don't expect it soon because it is somewhat difficult to do on OS X and there are other things we need to focus on (like a bullets and numbering, right to left, and a graphics layer, for example.)
Matze wrote: Position in Find/Replace. Almost indispensable.
We are not yet finished with Find/Replace, so there should be some more things like this to come.

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hello Charles,

thank you for your reply!
charles wrote: We current do support charactes/words/paragraphs for selected text. Just select some text and look at the Stats palette.
Great! Seems to me, that I have to explore NWE more seriously before complaining ;-)
charles wrote: How do you use the sentence and line counts? Are these values you need to have available absolutely all the time or just periodically?
I am a writer of different media (books, plays, print articles, tv-show-stuff) and very often it is requested that I do not exceed a certain number of words in a sentence, of sentences in a text, of lines per page etc. So I'd rather say all the time.
charles wrote: We do have this on our list, but don't expect it soon because it is somewhat difficult to do on OS X and there are other things we need to focus on (like a bullets and numbering, right to left, and a graphics layer, for example.)
Hooray! Good news.
charles wrote: We are not yet finished with Find/Replace, so there should be some more things like this to come.
Even better!

I am looking forward to this.

Charles, may I ask some of these featurerequests, when I miss other NW features?

Best, Matze
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Matze:

Please request anything you like! We build Nisus Writer Express based on what you ask of us! If you want the most direct way to make suggestions, choose "Report a Bug..." from the Help menu in NWE and choose "Feature Request" from the Type menu in the feedback form that appears. In the next release, we will actually have a menu item for this, but for now you can send feedback this way. This ends up being submitted directly to our list of things to do.

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Matze

Post by Matze »

charles wrote:Hi Matze:

Please request anything you like!

Cheers,
-Charles
Will it be possible to select a sentence by clicking three times?

Best, Matze
Matze

Post by Matze »

charles wrote:
Matze wrote: What I miss most is: Multiple character shortcuts.
We do have this on our list, but don't expect it soon because it is somewhat difficult to do on OS X and there are other things we need to focus on (like a bullets and numbering, right to left, and a graphics layer, for example.)
Very promising! I have purchased a license today!

Matze