Still plagued by indents

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dennisg

Still plagued by indents

Post by dennisg »

I went back and opened in 2.1.1 a doc I'd created with NWX 2.0. Surprisingly, almost every paragraph of the first two pages had the last line indented, which is one of many problems I had with 2.0. I fixed the paragraphs, saved the doc, then quit. When I reopened it, the indented paragraphs were back. I thought you Nisus guys were going to fix this problem.
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Dennis:

We did make some changes to try to avoid this problem, however the issue is with the latest version of OS X, unfortunately. (You can reproduce the same problem is TextEdit, in fact.) That said, I have not been able to reproduce this problem again since upgrading to 10.3.7; what version of OS X are you running.

We have talked to Apple about this issue and they have told us it has been been fixed in 10.4. Hopefully, it will be available sooner as well.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
dennisg

Post by dennisg »

I'm running 10.3.7. Oddly, I experience this problem only with NWE. This morning I opened (in 2.1.1) an 80-page doc I'd created in 2.0. When I posted this topic, I thought the indents occurred only on a few pages at the beginning. But after looking through the entire doc, they're all over the place. It would have taken me so long to fix, I decided to open the doc in Mariner Write. When I did, the doc was perfect.

I don't know, Charles. It may be true that this is somehow related to the operating system, but there's something in my doc that consistently triggers it in NWE and not in any other word processor.

I regret to say that I have to give up on NWE. I've invested an incredible amount of time fixing long documents whose problems reappear the next time I load them. Every version of NWE that comes out fills me with the hope that, finally, you will have addressed this problem. But it's worse than ever.

Parenthetically, Charles, I've been using computers since the days of Wordstar on CP/M. In that time, I've played with dozens -- if not hundreds -- of applications, some brand-new and some mature. But I've never experienced the level of frustration with one of them that I am with NWE. I'm inclined to think that, after all these years, maybe I was just due to run in to a program that doesn't work for me. NWE appears to be it. I recognize that most of your users aren't having the problems with it that I am. But that's little consolation. I've just run out of patience, energy, and time.

I wish you and the other nice folks at Nisus good luck.
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"