Arabic -- Parentheses/brackets --- Quotation-marks/inverted commas --- Deletinig

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
paieye

Arabic -- Parentheses/brackets --- Quotation-marks/inverted commas --- Deletinig

Post by paieye »

Even with the help of the keyboard-viewer, I cannot make these work properly.Any help much appreciated !
Hamid

Re: Arabic -- Parentheses/brackets --- Quotation-marks/inverted commas --- Deletinig

Post by Hamid »

Keyboard Viewer will only show you the layout of the active keyboard.
To view Arabic keyboard layout, you have to make the Arabic keyboard active from the input source in the menubar. If Arabic does not appear in the inpt source, you have to add it from System Preferences>Keyboard>Input Sources:
Input Source.jpg
Input Source.jpg (71.1 KiB) Viewed 9265 times
paieye

Re: Arabic -- Parentheses/brackets --- Quotation-marks/inverted commas --- Deletinig

Post by paieye »

Thank you for your advice. I have done that. But for example, to type Arabic text between quotation-marks, I must type both sets of QM first, then put the insertion-point between them and type the text there. The same procedure works with parentheses, but I otherwise cannot make QM or parentheses work with Arabic text. Deleting text in OS is left-to-right. If I want to delete the last word of a sentence, wherever I put the insertion-point, I cannot delete the last character. I am then obliged to put the insertion -point to the right of the last character,and delete the characters to the right, leaving the last undeletable character alone at the end of the line -- not a very professional effect.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

If the text is entirely in Arabic script, is Arabic language applied to the paragraph style (from the flag menu in the Stausbar)?
Are you working with a text which was copy-pasted from another source?
Is another script direction involved?
paieye

Post by paieye »

Thank you again.
"If the text is entirely in Arabic script, is Arabic language applied to the paragraph style (from the flag. menu in the Stausbar)?" Yes, the text is wholly in Arabic script,applied by clicking the appropriate flag-symbol.

"Are you working with a text which was copy-pasted from another source?" No, the script is simply typed in by me.

"Is another script direction involved?" No, I do not see how it could be.

What does occur to me is that I may be using an incorrect procedure to align the text to the right. I select the text; in the menu-bar, I click Format; I then click Paragraph; lastly, I choose Align right.

I ought to mention that my text is generally typed into the rows of a table, but I have experimented with this in an ordinary document, and the difficulties seem to be exactly the same.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

What you describe can only happen when a left-to-right script language paragraph style is applied to the selected text.
To overcome the problem, the paragraph style applied should have at least "Language: Arabic" attribute:
Ar para style.jpg
Ar para style.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 9259 times
paieye

Post by paieye »

Thank you ! That is the answer. I have struggled with this for hours or even days. Arabic is quite difficult enough without getting one's word-processor in a muddle. I am truly grateful.