Devonthink Pro automatically opening Nisus files

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
SchoodicMountain

Devonthink Pro automatically opening Nisus files

Post by SchoodicMountain »

I've happily used Nisus Pro and Devonthink Pro for several years. Now on a Mac Mini 2018.

Recently I've been having a problem in that when I move Nisus rtf files from Mac Finder to a group in Devonthink, the file automatically opens. It didn't use to do that and I haven't found anyway to turn it off.

It doesn't happen when I move the file from one directory to another in the finder, or from one Devonthink group to another.

Devonthink doesn't open Pages files, or PDF files, or any other kind of file, when they are transferred. (A test rtf file created by Text Edit was moved to Devonthink and opened in Nisus Writer. Nisus is selected as the default program for opening rtf files.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on.

Many thanks.

Mitchell
Þorvarður

Re: Devonthink Pro automatically opening Nisus files

Post by Þorvarður »

Hello Mitchell
I have never experienced anything like that with DEVONThink and Nisus. You should report this to the DEVONThink folks. And ahem, don't forget to mention which version of the program you are using. ; -) The latest version of DEVONthink Pro is 3.0.4.

When you say "move" and "transfer", I suppose you mean importing the file (in contrast to indexing it.) If yes, does this always happen, regardless whether you (1) drag the file with the mouse, (2) use the File > Import, or (3) drop the file on to the DevonThink icon?
Does this also happen when you *index* the file, i.e. press and hold down the Option key and the Command key while you drag the file with the mouse into DevonThink?
when I move Nisus rtf files from Mac Finder to a group in Devonthink
Does this happen with all the groups or only one group? Does this also happen with the inbox?

Lastly, you should create a new, empty database and see if the problem persists. If it goes away, you should verify, repair or rebuild the old database (see the three commands in the File menu.)
Þorvarður

Re: Devonthink Pro automatically opening Nisus files

Post by Þorvarður »

Another possibility is that you have created a Smart Rule in DEVONThink which opens RTF files externally, i.e. in Nisus, when they are imported. Check your Smart Rules.
1.png
1.png (40.72 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
And please report back when you have found the solution…