Remove all previous versions, so a file cannot be reverted?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

Remove all previous versions, so a file cannot be reverted?

Post by NisusUser »

Is there a way to make it so a file cannot be reverted to previous data? I.e., can the versions one could revert to be deleted?
Hamid

Re: Remove all previous versions, so a file cannot be reverted?

Post by Hamid »

While you are in Browse All Versions..., go to File menu, press Option and go to Revert to... and apply the submenu Delete Old Versions...
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Hamid wrote: 2020-01-18 12:36:25 While you are in Browse All Versions..., go to File menu, press Option and go to Revert to... and apply the submenu Delete Old Versions...
I don't see any File menu or any other menus at all when I am in "Browse All Versions." Rather, there is a stack of versions on the right and the current saved file on the left. The only two action options available are "Done" under the image of the current file and "Restore" under the top-most previous version.
Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 07.43.14_1000.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 07.43.14_1000.jpg (14.56 KiB) Viewed 17339 times
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

The menubar is hidden; it appears when you move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen.
Delete Old Versions.jpg
Delete Old Versions.jpg (68.69 KiB) Viewed 17335 times
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Hamid wrote: 2020-01-20 00:57:27 The menubar is hidden; it appears when you move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen.
You're absolutely correct, Hamid! Sorry I didn't realize that. Seems like it's really hidden, since I just tried it once, and couldn't get it, but on my second try, it appeared. (Just operator error on my part.)

I really appreciate your help!
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Apparently, how to delete old versions is not mentioned in the User's Guide.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Hamid wrote: 2020-01-20 03:05:48 Apparently, how to delete old versions is not mentioned in the User's Guide.
Martin, Maybe that's something that could be added to the User's Guide? It's not exactly self-explanatory (to me, anyway :) )
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

You're right that this command isn't very discoverable. In fact, I had no idea this menu existed either! It's supplied by Apple as part of the standard document version browser. Thanks to Hamid for pointing it out.

We could point this command out in the user guide. I wonder in what situations it's desirable to delete all old versions? The system (macOS) automatically culls old file versions on demand, eg: when disk space is needed. I think the only reason a person would ever need to delete old versions manually is when sensitive materials were accidentally saved in a prior version, and access should be restricted to that information, but not to information in the current version of the file.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

I've found that the revert function does some weird things, probably because I do so and don't really understand how the old versions are kept or I just don't pay attention. I haven't really tried to nail it down precisely, but I often start with an old file with old, but similar text to what I want in the new one (or laid out the same way, e.g., with a letterhead). Then I save it with a new name. Or sometimes I copy out the current text of a file and make a new file (with no revisions), then save new text in that old file. Now that old (original) file has revisions that aren't really "related" to it. In some cases I've had weird stuff back in those revisions. This question came up because of that – I just wanted a file with only what I could see in it, not old stuff back in the crevices… :)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer Pro version 3.1 adds a feature that helps you browse your document's version history. Instead of flying through Apple's Time Machine interface, Nisus Writer can now show you a plain listing of all file versions, including their modification date and file size. You can see the listing using the new menu File > Versions. For more details see the user guide section on document versioning.

I should make clear that this new listing won't help you delete prior versions. It will only help you see what's been recorded, and allow you to open read-only copies of old document versions.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer Pro version 3.2 expands on the version listing feature added in version 3.1. You can now delete prior document versions you see listed in the Document Manager.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

martin wrote: 2020-11-17 13:33:50 Nisus Writer Pro version 3.2 expands on the version listing feature added in version 3.1. You can now delete prior document versions you see listed in the Document Manager.
Thank you, Martin.