New MacBookPro, error messages

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
jrochest

New MacBookPro, error messages

Post by jrochest »

I'm running Nisus Writer Pro 3.1 on a lovely new MacBook Pro, but I have two problems:

1) the program will not open a document from the Finder window: I have to open NWP and then open the document from there. Why?

2) when I open and document I get this error message:
The following settings are affected:
• toolbar - custom items
• touch bar - custom items

Errors:
• There was an error accessing your synchronized settings. Folder location:
~/Dropbox/Nisus Writer Settings

Underlying error:
Bookmark data previously captured for a file is invalid.
File path: ~/Dropbox/Nisus Writer Settings

What can I do to resolve both these issues?
adryan

Re: New MacBookPro, error messages

Post by adryan »

G’day, jrochest et al

Not sure about the other stuff, but a bit of “education” of your new computer may fix the document opening problem.

Select a .rtf file (or whatever format you usually save NWP files in) in the Finder, then File > Get Info (Cmd-I).

In the window that opens, set the “Open with” application to Nisus Writer Pro and choose to “Change All”.

With luck, double-clicking on a .rtf file (say) in the Finder should now open it in NWP.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

jrochest wrote: 2020-09-20 20:44:49 1) the program will not open a document from the Finder window: I have to open NWP and then open the document from there. Why?
If the problem is that the Finder warns you that your Nisus Writer files are from an unidentified developer, then Adrian's advice to configure the Finder to open all RTF files in Nisus Writer may indeed solve this issue. Please see this FAQ for more details on the problem, which is basically overzealous macOS security.
• There was an error accessing your synchronized settings. Folder location:
~/Dropbox/Nisus Writer Settings
To solve this, please try reestablishing Nisus Writer's access to its synchronized settings location. You can do so in Nisus Writer's preferences, in the General pane. I'd change the location to "None" and then back to your Dropbox. That should prompt you to reselect your Dropbox folder, which grants Nisus Writer access.
jrochest

Post by jrochest »

Thank you! Will try this tonight