Inserting Vowels in Hebrew

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Daniel Siegel

Inserting Vowels in Hebrew

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Many years ago, if one depressed the caps lock key then the numbers would become the vowel marks for Hebrew text. Then that feature disappeared and one had to press the option key along with the number key to get the desired vowel. Then, someone on the other Nisus list sent me something called Hebrew Bundle II which I've been using ever since and it restored that function. Now we have just bought a new MacBook Air and I put the bundle in its usual spot (keyboard layouts), but it doesn't show. I've also noticed that Hebrew doesn't show as a selected language on my MacBook Pro since I started using Big Sur, but the workaround still works and shows in the language icon at the top of the screen.
If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has an idea of how to restore that capability, I would appreciate hearing and will be glad to add more detail if asked.
Thanks.
Daniel
Hamid

Re: Inserting Vowels in Hebrew

Post by Hamid »

To add Hebrew language:
In System Preferences tab to Language & Region:General. At the left bottom of the pane click the plus sign; select Hebrew and press the Add button.
Add Hebrew.jpg
Add Hebrew.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 7764 times
To add Hebrew keyboard:
In System Preferences tab to Language & Region:General. At the bottom of the pane click "Keyboard Preferences..." and then click the plus sign; select the Hebrew keyboard of your choice, and press the Add button.
Add input source.jpg
Add input source.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 7764 times
Daniel Siegel

Re: Inserting Vowels in Hebrew

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Thank you, Hamid, for your response. Unfortunately, this is what I already tried though it's possible that I selected Hebrew Querty as the keyboard. When I next can access my wife's Air, I'll try that and see if that's what makes the difference.
It's not about using Hebrew, however, and only about the convenience of being able to select the caps lock option and insert vowels without having to using the option key each time.
Daniel