Footnote numbering when merging documents

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Axonus

Footnote numbering when merging documents

Post by Axonus »

For my dissertation I have to merge several documents into one document. When doing this normally the footnotes for the second, third etc. files are added to those of the first document. So I get footnumbers like 799 and 1015.

My question is the following: is there any method to restart footnote numbering for each chapter of the document? I want to give every first footnote of a chapter number 1.

I hope my question is sufficiently clear and apologize if that is not the case.

Many thanks for any advice in advance!
Þorvarður

Re: Footnote numbering when merging documents

Post by Þorvarður »

Axonus wrote:is there any method to restart footnote numbering for each chapter of the document? I want to give every first footnote of a chapter number 1.
You could insert a Section Break after each chapter, and then do this:

1. Go to Style Sheet
2. Select Note Style "Footnote" in the left column
3. Then choose an option from the "Number Restart" pop-up menu.

You can choose between [1] Continuous, [2] Per Page and [3] Per Section
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 20.16.37.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 20.16.37.png (80.24 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
madpoli

Post by madpoli »

I am facing a similar problem.

I want to restart the footnote # for each chapter. Problem: I have sections within each chapter. Bc I use landscape settings etc for some pages within the chapter. So if I choose "restart footnote numbering for each section," I end up having multiple footnotes no. 1 WITHIN the same chapter.

Any way around this?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

madpoli wrote: 2022-03-12 09:04:44I want to restart the footnote # for each chapter. Problem: I have sections within each chapter. Bc I use landscape settings etc for some pages within the chapter. So if I choose "restart footnote numbering for each section," I end up having multiple footnotes no. 1 WITHIN the same chapter.

Any way around this?
You can manually manage your footnote numbering, e.g. use the menu Set Custom Note Reference for each footnote, but this is tedious and error-prone to do one at a time. You might consider creating a macro that renumbers all your footnotes automatically. You can run it once after you're done writing. Such a macro might use a particular heading style to decide where to restart note numbering.