Tables - breaking row content over pages

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
vwnisus

Tables - breaking row content over pages

Post by vwnisus »

As far I know Nisus Writer Pro does not break the contents of a table row over a page. So that only whole rows appear on a page (and if the content of a row is too deep then the content is cut off).

This feature exists in Microsoft Word. Would it be possible for this to be added to Nisus Writer Pro? (Mellel and Pages, as far as I can see, also do not offer this feature).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Tables - breaking row content over pages

Post by martin »

The feature where an individual table row/cell is allowed to span multiple pages is something that we know our users would like to see added. It's certainly been requested before, and I'll add your vote that we should perhaps add it one day. Thanks for letting us know.

In the meantime there is a workaround, though it is awkward. Although Nisus Writer won't split an individual table row between pages, it will allow a multi-row merged cell to flow across two or more pages. In that situation the constituent table rows are still limited to a single page, but since the cell spans multiple rows, the cell's text content will flow between pages. Here's a diagram of how this looks:

Code: Select all

------
|r1|a|
|--|b|
|r2|c|
|--|d|
|r3|e|
------
This diagram shows a table with 3 rows: r1, r2, and r3. The cell whose text contains "abcde" is a merged/spanning cell that spans all 3 table rows. Although each single table row will be limited in height so it does not exceed a single page, the text in the spanning cell can potentially flow across 3 pages.

Configuring that table structure might be a lot of trouble, or an impossibility, but I thought I would mention it just in case it's helpful.
vwnisus

Post by vwnisus »

Martin,

Thank you for letting me know about the work around, but I do hope that a future version can support the spanning of table rows/cells.
tokyodave

Post by tokyodave »

Yes, it's 2022, and I wish I could have table rows break across page boundaries. I receive Word files containing large table rows, and the lack of this feature has forced me to go back to LibreOffice for now, to get my editing done.
LOVE :love: Nisus Writer Pro, so wanted to reiterate the need for table-row-breaking!
Thanks much to all the Nisus people for a great product.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

tokyodave wrote: 2022-08-22 20:20:50 Yes, it's 2022, and I wish I could have table rows break across page boundaries. I receive Word files containing large table rows, and the lack of this feature has forced me to go back to LibreOffice for now, to get my editing done.
LOVE :love: Nisus Writer Pro, so wanted to reiterate the need for table-row-breaking!
Thanks much to all the Nisus people for a great product.
Thanks for your kind words of appreciation Dave! It's great to have such positive customers :)

I understand this must be aggravating if you receive a lot of files with these kinds of tables. Aside from the awkward editing workaround posted earlier, I'd also like to mention that Nisus Writer can nicely edit these kinds of tables in Draft View. That view handles tables cells of any size. But I understand the lack of Page View may be a non-starter for you; I only wanted to make sure you knew about it.