Keyboard shortcuts not visible on Macro Menu

Get help using and writing Nisus Writer Pro macros.
withoutFeathers

Keyboard shortcuts not visible on Macro Menu

Post by withoutFeathers »

Hi,
Subject line says it.

In my NWP 3.2.1, I've assigned key combinations to various macros, but none of them show on the Macro Menu dropdown.

In contrast, all the other menus show the key combinations assigned to that menu entry.

Can somebody confirm whether this happens to other people?

To be clear: these macros do work when I run them, either from the keyboard shortcut or by the menu entry. It's just that it's helpful sometimes to be able to refer to the menu to refresh my memory of the shortcut, rather than going into Preferences to look them up.

I tried quitting and restarting Nisus, and also resetting one of the macros. But they still don't show on the Macro Menu.

Thanks
WF
adryan

Re: Keyboard shortcuts not visible on Macro Menu

Post by adryan »

G'day, WF et al

It works for me in NWP 3.3.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Hi WF,
I see that intermittently. I think usually when I restart Nisus the macro shortcuts don't show, but after I run one, they start to appear. So maybe this is not the same thing :?
philip
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, WF, Philip et al

I've looked at this again.

NWP shows keyboard shortcut in Macros menu.

I quit NWP and restarted. No documents open. Keyboard shortcut now does not show in Macros menu.

Create a new blank document. Keyboard shortcut still does not show in Macros menu.

Enter a single character in the new document. Keyboard shortcut now shows in Macros menu.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, all

And now, I've just seen that a keyboard shortcut associated with a Service (viz, Look Up in Dictionary) suddenly stopped working. Normal operation resumed after an NWP restart. The shortcut remained visible in the Services menu the whole time.

However, the fault may lie deeper in the operating system, as this same shortcut malfunctioned earlier today with Firefox. I didn't look at the menu to see whether the shortcut was visible there or not.

Very strange that these problems surfaced today. As I said in my original post, hitherto I'd had no such problems.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
withoutFeathers

Thank you adryan and phspaelti.

So by your responses, it's getting weirder. :)

FWIW, running a macro didn't help for me. Restarting NWP hasn't helped, nor has resetting a command in the Preferences. So maybe, as you say, it might be deeper in the operating system.

I now vaguely remember noting this problem before, maybe a year ago, and that it came and went.

Anyway, workaround I've devised is to put the essential commands on a sticky, and so have them to look at when I need them. But it would be nice to have this fixed.

WF
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Updating the display of keyboard shortcuts on Nisus Writer's menus occurs in the background, after the app has idle time to update the menus "lazily". This is a low priority task and may not occur for some time after you launch the app. The exact timing depends on a variety of factors, i.e. what else you're doing in Nisus Writer and macOS.

That said, macro menu shortcuts should generally appear around the same time as all your other menu shortcuts. This is working correctly on my Mac. It sounds like it's not what's happening for you, and it's only macros that are affected.

One question: what happens if you assign a brand new shortcut to a macro menu command? Does that appear after you assign it?
withoutFeathers

martin wrote: 2022-12-09 08:48:28
One question: what happens if you assign a brand new shortcut to a macro menu command? Does that appear after you assign it?
Hi Martin.
Good question, and following it gives three new pieces of evidence. I found:
1. I set something I never use (Reverse Text): It showed up immediately in Macro Menu. Nothing else did.
2.Then I re-set one of my regular macros ('Find Blue Text') by setting it to nothing, then right away (still in Preferences), setting it to its original combination. It now also showed up in Macro Menu, along with the #1 (Reverse Text)
3. To see if this holds, I quit Nisus and restarted. It doesn't. Now nothing shows again.

So apparently starting NWP removes them. 10 minutes later still nothing shows.

WF