Multiple TOCs

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
jganding@outlook.com

Multiple TOCs

Post by jganding@outlook.com »

Am trying to create a table of figures that is separate from the heading TOC. I have a list style defined that keeps all figures numbered in order whenever I add a new figure. I use the list to caption the figures and all is good - all figures/graphics are numbered in order. So I go to create a TOC for the figures and I don't see where to specify the list style I am using for the figures. I can modify a style for the TOC but where do I tell NWP what list style to use in creating the TOC? I can create a new TOC but it is "empty" - i.e., NWP hasn't been told which list to use to create the TOC. How do I tell NWP what list to use when creating the TOC for the figures? Many thanks in advance.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Multiple TOCs

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer Pro does allow multiple TOCs and can generate a separate TOC just for your document's figures. The trick is that each figure's title/caption paragraph needs to be marked for TOC inclusion. You can't do that using List Styles because List Styles can't enforce arbitrary formatting.

The solution is to create a new paragraph style that enforces the necessary formatting. This paragraph style can enforce not only your list style, but also TOC inclusion for your separate figures TOC style. You can apply this new style to all figure titles/captions.

I'll attach a small example file that shows the technique.
Attachments
figure-toc-example.zrtf
(14.99 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
jganding@outlook.com

Re: Multiple TOCs

Post by jganding@outlook.com »

Thank you - this helped a lot. I think I've got it now. Seems there are a lot of moving parts and disparate step/settings to do this though. Perhaps workflow improvements are in the future of NWP. Regardless, many many thanks!