Can't open files

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ngazidja

Can't open files

Post by ngazidja »

Well I've had some problems with NWP in my time (don't worry, I love it dearly), but this is an unusual one. I can't open any files. Double-clicking doesn't work, control-clicking doesn't work, "open..." in the file menu doesn't work, and regardless of the file type - rtf, doc, docx, txt. The files are fine, I can open them all, as appropriate, with Pages or Text Edit or NeoOffice, or whatever, just not with NWP. The only thing that does work is I can open files in the "open recent" menu. Fortuntely...

This just started, everything was fine until about an hour ago - and yes, I've rebooted, etc.

Suggestions? Something's suddenly gone wrong somewhere in the preferences I guess.
ngazidja

Re: Can't open files

Post by ngazidja »

Very strange, I now seem to be intermittently having the same problem with Preview - when I double click a pdf set to open with Preview, Preview becomes active and there's the "file opening" animation-zoom but the file doesn't open. It doesn't seem to happen with jpegs, png, etc., and only some pdfs, not all. No problems with other apps yet...
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This definitely sounds like a system issue if it's affecting Nisus Writer and Apple Preview, but maybe it has something to do with the information the system maintains for each specific app.

One possible solution: reset Nisus Writer's sandbox. That basically resets everything macOS knows about the app and often solves otherwise elusive problems. If it works for Nisus Writer you could try it for other affected app sandboxes.

Good luck! And please let us know how things go, no matter how it ends up...
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

Well how about that. Thanks for the advice Martin, I went to preferences to save my settings and saw that the folder was set to "none", ie they presumably weren't being saved anywhere. So I set them to save to a folder on the desktop, quite and relaunched Nisus just to check, checked again that I still had my file-opening problem and no - it's gone away. Was this the solution or just coincidence?

Anyway, problem solved. :)
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

Incidentally, I no longer have a problem with Preview, either. I guess it was just showing some sympathy. You know how these apps are.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

ngazidja wrote: 2023-05-09 22:04:54 Well how about that. Thanks for the advice Martin, I went to preferences to save my settings and saw that the folder was set to "none", ie they presumably weren't being saved anywhere. So I set them to save to a folder on the desktop, quite and relaunched Nisus just to check, checked again that I still had my file-opening problem and no - it's gone away. Was this the solution or just coincidence?

Anyway, problem solved. :)
We can assume your preferences are a red herring, and fixing that folder was a coincidence. Conceptually there's no way your Nisus settings can influence Apple Preview, unless there's a serious bug or wormhole in macOS. But either way we can probably blame a simple system funk for whatever problem you encountered.

I'm also glad the problem is solved :)