Inter-operability with Microsoft Word

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
SillyRabbit

Inter-operability with Microsoft Word

Post by SillyRabbit »

The people who do remodeling for us use Microsoft Word on Windows. I am on a Mac. When they send me a Word document, I can easily open it in Nisus Writer Pro. However, when I send them a file that I have saved in Microsoft Word Format, they say it reports being corrupted when they try to open it. I have two questions. (1) are there any known issues with documents saved in Microsoft Word Format and (2) since Nisus Writer Pro saves its own documents in rtf format, should I just send the same file that Nisus Writer Pro creates, instead of saving it as a Microsoft Word document. I would like to get some informed information before I send them anything because communicating with them is sometimes difficult. Thank you :)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Inter-operability with Microsoft Word

Post by martin »

Hello Silly Rabbit and Welcome!

The quick answer is yes, send the RTF file that is saved by Nisus Writer. It should be handled quite smoothly by Microsoft Word and ensure good fidelity. You can read more on our FAQ:

What's the best way to share documents with Microsoft Word?

That said, if you don't need the document to remain editable, PDF is the best solution. The PDF format's main goal is ensure 100% visual accuracy with respect to the original content so you don't have to worry about miscommunication. Nisus Writer can easily export PDFs with nice features like a TOC, intra-document links, etc.
SillyRabbit

Re: Inter-operability with Microsoft Word

Post by SillyRabbit »

Thank you for the information. Sorry I am so late in responding. This was my first post and I thought I would get an email when it was approved. Thanks again. By the way, Nisus Writer Pro is great! Every time I use it, I feel like I am having fun. :)