Crash, Crash, Crash

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Foxofjapan

Crash, Crash, Crash

Post by Foxofjapan »

I feel bad about posting 2 consecutive messages, but I rarely have any problems with Nisus. As of 2 days ago, Nisus is constantly crashing. (I don't know how to send a log). I just add a comma to a sentence and the program crashes.

I am using a MacBook Air with Sonoma 14.3.1

Thanks in advance
Þorvarður

Re: Crash, Crash, Crash

Post by Þorvarður »

Foxofjapan wrote: 2024-03-13 20:23:31 As of 2 days ago, Nisus is constantly crashing
Are you using Nisus Writer Pro version 3.4?
https://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12283
I don't know how to send a log
Choose "Send Feedback" from Nisus' Help menu.
Foxofjapan

Post by Foxofjapan »

Yes, I am using version 3.4
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Have you found a solution to this?

From what you say, NWP opens but crashes when you type anything in your document. Does it only happen in this document or in other/new documents? That would clarify whether the NWP user interface has got corrupted or the document has got corrupted. If it's the UI, replace NWP as I suggest below; if it's the document, then (a) run the Zap Gremlins macro over the document and if that doesn't work, (b) try copy-pasting it in suitable chunks into a new document, testing as you go to the point where the new version crashes, if at all.

If it still crashes, my resort facing something like that is, with in this case NWP closed, to move the Preferences/Settings file out of its location—in the case of NWP, it is not in ~/Library Preferences/, but in the "Nisus Documents" folder wherever you keep that… mine is in iCloud to share between machines—and then open NWP. It will create a new vanilla preferences file. If it doesn't crash, you've found your culprit and will need to reset all your preferences, if it does the problem is elsewhere.

Next would be to reboot the Mac in Safe Mode and open NWP. If it now works, then it is some recent changes to your user account, some upgrade/update or new software/widget, which is conflicting, and you will need to find it by trial and error. If it still doesn't work, when you've tried all that…

Third step would be to set up another user account on the machine and try opening NWP there. If that doesn't work, drag NWP to the trash, clear your browser's download cache, download a new installer and re-install NWP. Test again.

That's my process for dealing with crashes. Oh, and go to Console, find any crash logs for NWP copy them to text documents, zip them and email them to Nisus.

HTH

Mark
Foxofjapan

Post by Foxofjapan »

Mark, thanks. I have given thought to the problem, and think that the document might be corrupted. I will try your suggestions and get back to you. Salamat!(Thanks) Mike in the Philippines.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Mike: I'm very sorry about the crashes. The problem could be a lingering macOS Sonoma incompatibility that we're working to fix. Please try this beta of version 3.4.1. If you still encounter a crash with the beta, please send in a feedback report via the Help menu after you relaunch the app. Thanks for your patience and help!
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

AS a note, I was getting a lot of crashes until I disabled the new Apple predictive text system in the system preferences. I am on the most recent Nisus and Sonoma .3.1. I haven't updated to Sonoma .4 yet. I think that bug from before has not quite been squashed yet. Maybe this beta version has more fixes for the predictive text issue?
Hogeye

Post by Hogeye »

The new version solved my crashing problems. Thanks! I'm back from Pages now.
mfrance

Post by mfrance »

Hogeye wrote: 2024-04-02 15:30:21 The new version solved my crashing problems. Thanks! I'm back from Pages now.
Same here. I also started having repeated crashes out of the blue, but the beta version solved the problem.
Louch1970

Post by Louch1970 »

I'm on version 3.4 as well and it just started crashing constantly out of the blue. Just as I'm literally finishing a journal article draft :cry:

So far the new version is working...

Thanks!