FR: make Unicode U+202F visible in Nisus Writer Pro

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

FR: make Unicode U+202F visible in Nisus Writer Pro

Post by NisusUser »

Hi, everybody, but especially Martin (since I think this is a feature request).

Unless I'm mistaken, if one inserts a U+202F Narrow Non-Breaking Space (via the Mac's "Unicode Hex Input" keyboard) into the text of a Nisus document, there is no way to see that character, even if View > Show Invisibles is turned on. In contrast, if one inserts a regular non-breaking space in NWP (with, e.g., the built-in Option-Space Bar method), one sees a tilde in the space when Show Invisibles is turned on.

My request is that there be some way to see the U+202F Narrow Non-Breaking Space character in such cases.

And, if I'm mistaken about this, I'll be glad to hear (read) what I need to do to see some indication that U+202F has been entered into the text.

Thank you!

P.S. I found two forum threads that address U+202F, but neither deals with visibility. They are https://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38942 and https://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15447.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: FR: make Unicode U+202F visible in Nisus Writer Pro

Post by martin »

Thanks for the good suggestion! I'm surprised this character was omitted from "show invisibles" for so long. We should be able to add this invisible mark for the next Nisus Writer update.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

martin wrote: 2024-04-10 07:58:13 Thanks for the good suggestion! I'm surprised this character was omitted from "show invisibles" for so long. We should be able to add this invisible mark for the next Nisus Writer update.
That's great news, Martin! Thank you. I'm looking forward to it. I have a situation where I must use that non-breaking space and only that one, so being able to tell where I've inserted it would be helpful.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Eric et al

Pending that frabjous day, you can use the expression ".\U202F." (without the quotes) in the Find field of PowerFind Pro to locate instances of the character (sandwiched between its two neighboring characters) in your document.

You can use a combining diacritical (such as a tilde) with a non-breaking space to get a more direct indication of its existence, but I'm afraid I don't know how to add the diacritical to the list of characters subject to toggling of visibility.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

adryan wrote: 2024-04-10 13:32:43 […] you can use the expression ".\U202F." (without the quotes) in the Find field of PowerFind Pro to locate instances of the character (sandwiched between its two neighboring characters) in your document.
Thank you, Adrian!
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Eric et al

Or you could use a similar technique, but without involving the neighbors, to find all occurrences of the special character and then color them, with either a background color or a highlight color. This could be done using the Replace mechanism if desired.

If you prefer a monochrome environment and are addicted to diacriticals, you could still use the technique I suggested in my previous posting. You don't want to see the diacritical unless Show Invisibles is active? Try this: Create a Macro called Show My Invisibles; have it call the usual Show Invisibles command and also replace each (invisible) non-breaking narrow space with the same character in conjunction with a (visible) combining diacritical. Create an analogous Macro to Hide My Invisibles.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

adryan wrote: 2024-04-11 04:44:51 G'day, Eric et al

Or you could use a similar technique, but without involving the neighbors, to find all occurrences of the special character and then color them, with either a background color or a highlight color. This could be done using the Replace mechanism if desired.

If you prefer a monochrome environment and are addicted to diacriticals, you could still use the technique I suggested in my previous posting. You don't want to see the diacritical unless Show Invisibles is active? Try this: Create a Macro called Show My Invisibles; have it call the usual Show Invisibles command and also replace each (invisible) non-breaking narrow space with the same character in conjunction with a (visible) combining diacritical. Create an analogous Macro to Hide My Invisibles.

Cheers,
Adrian
Thank you, Adrian. Your idea is a creative possibility. Since we're still in a beta (3.4.1. beta 1) for NWP right now, I'm hopeful that a new version with the normal way to see invisibles will be released soon :)

I can get by in any case, since I'm preparing text in NWP, but then later will be pasting the text into another program where U+202F does show up properly.