Intelligent spacing?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
fletcher

Intelligent spacing?

Post by fletcher »

One thing I noticed is that if you select a word between two others and delete it, NWE doesn't delete the extra space, as other word processors do, even TextEdit. Ditto with dragging a word from one place to another. Hopefully this isn't too hard to fix.
Matze

Re: Intelligent spacing?

Post by Matze »

fletcher wrote:One thing I noticed is that if you select a word between two others and delete it, NWE doesn't delete the extra space, as other word processors do, even TextEdit. Ditto with dragging a word from one place to another. Hopefully this isn't too hard to fix.
Is this already fixed? If yes, where can I choose this option in NWE 2.1?

Best, Matze
Matze

Re: Intelligent spacing?

Post by Matze »

fletcher wrote:One thing I noticed is that if you select a word between two others and delete it, NWE doesn't delete the extra space, as other word processors do, even TextEdit. Ditto with dragging a word from one place to another. Hopefully this isn't too hard to fix.
I strongly second this!

I can't do without intelligent cut and paste. This slows down my writing, as I have to delete a doublespace after cutting/dragging and fill in a space after pasting/dropping.

Hope you will fix this bug in the next version.

Best, Matze
Peder

Post by Peder »

Hi!

This sounds very strange to me. Running NWE 2.1.1, and it does exactly what you want it to, but claim it doesn't. I just tested it so be on the safe side :wink: Double-clicked a word, hit backspace, and only one blanks space remained. As far as I know I didn't choose this in any setting.

Hope it turns out to work that way for you too.

Peder
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Double-clicked a word, hit backspace, and only one blanks space remained
Yes, that works perfectly. But when you drag and drop, it does not work and - yes, I know I'm tiresome - it worked in Nisus classic, and works in other word processors under X, so I really don't know why it does not work in 2.1.1 Maybe I should say it does not work properly, because sometimes for some mysterious reason, all spaces are in their proper places: unfortunately, I have never understood why and how.
Anne
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Double-clicked a word, hit backspace, and only one blanks space remained
Yes, that works perfectly. But when you drag and drop, it does not work and - yes, I know I'm tiresome - it worked in Nisus classic, and works in other word processors under X, so I really don't know why it does not work in 2.1.1 Maybe I should say it does not work properly, because sometimes for some mysterious reason, all spaces are in their proper places: unfortunately, I have never understood why and how.
Anne
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

Nisus Writer Express uses the same "smart" spacing for copy/paste, drag and drop and typing that is used in TextEdit and other Cocoa applications. Sometimes however, it does not always behave as we expect it. We are looking into this issue for a future release.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

when you drag and drop, it does not work
Nor does it work when you cut and paste.
A paste always adds an extra space to the end of the text pasted.

Nor does it work with scripts.
A perl or Applescript that manipulates text always adds a space to the end of whatever it inserts. For instance, it is impossible to write a script that merely inserts the current date without a space.

This was all introduced in the most recent version. The previous version handled all this correctly.
Al Hatch
Matze

Post by Matze »

charles wrote:Hi:

Nisus Writer Express uses the same "smart" spacing for copy/paste, drag and drop and typing that is used in TextEdit and other Cocoa applications. Sometimes however, it does not always behave as we expect it. We are looking into this issue for a future release.

-Charles
Hi Charles,

it never behaves as I expect it.

1. When I doubleclick a word and cut it, there are two spaces.
2. When I doubleclick a word and copy/cut and paste it, there is no extra space behind the pasted word.
3. When I drag and drop a word it behaves as copy/pasted.
4. In TextEdit neither 1, 2, nor 3 happen.

Best, Matze
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

In addition to the other problems noted with phantom space characters being inserted into the clipboard by Nisus Writer, I've noted a new one.

Copy any message in this thread or from any Web page. Paste it into NWX 2.1.1 and into TextEdit (or any other word processor). Nisus Writer is the only one that inserts extranious spaces at the beginning of every paragraph.

To summarize:

-- A paste always adds an extra space to the end of the text pasted.
-- If there are paragraphs, the extra space is added to every paragraph.
-- It is impossible to write a script that merely inserts text -- say, the current date -- without a space. A perl or Applescript that manipulates text always has a space added by Nisus Writer to the end of whatever it inserts.

This was all introduced in 2.1.1.
Al Hatch