Full Screen Mode

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
nachtschicht

Full Screen Mode

Post by nachtschicht »

Hi,

will there be a Fulll Screen Mode in NisusWriterExpress like in Macjournal or Ulysses? Just Text, nothing more. Please, that would be very nice.

Thanks,
Detlef
cgc

Post by cgc »

It seems simple to implement. I am all for it as well. We're talking no window, no borders, just a blank screen (customizable background and font colors please) with document open.
marc

Post by marc »

I'd be all for this myself -- there are times when you really want to just concentrate on a particular task -- IMHO a growing trend in addressing some of the drawbacks in GUIs, in terms of too much competition for your attention.

Lectura is another example, and worth a look for those looking for this feature now; Lectura supports RTF, but it's only for reading.
Last edited by marc on 2006-07-27 16:57:51, edited 1 time in total.
charles

Post by charles »

Thanks for this feedback. We have added it to our list of things to do. Can you tell me more about why you are looking for this feature? What do you get out of a full screen approach compared to just maximizing your window? Do you need any controls besides the raw text?

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

That's precisely what I wondered. By the time you add in all the controls people would need, you'd have made a windowed application.
nkraft

Post by nkraft »

I use MacJournal for this feature frequently. When I'm writing, I don't want to think about format. Just words, just text, full screen, no distractions. No floating toolbars, no cute pictures, just two colors - background and text.

Call it Zen writing, or perhaps it's just a throwback to when I wrote everything in LaTeX (actually, I still use LaTeX for academic writing). After writing I format text and pages to meet publishing needs.

MacJournal has only scrollbars on the screen, though the usual key combinations for bold, italics and underline are functional. Very clean, very focused, I can't even see my dock or my new email indicator. Just the writer and a blank screen to fill. Ah... Any company that produces a Zen Gardens product ought to understand.

Another side benefit for the iBook/Powerbook user: when I use the full-screen feature of MacJournal with a black background with orange text my battery charge lasts onger. Quite a bit longer. Long enough to keep me writing on a flight from Boston to Paris.

It would be nice to be able to go back and forth between formatted text and the full-screen mode in the same software package.
Meuh

Post by Meuh »

Yes, full screen would be a fantastic addition. I do a lot of freelance writing for newspapers, so most of the time formatting is someone else's business. MacJournal's full-screen mode is great when you just want to concentrate on the words, not what they look like. The only thing that's missing (and that I'd like to see in Nisus Writer's equivalent) is a live word count.
Ted

Post by Ted »

+1 I'm all for this feature.
Talisman39

Hiding the desktop mess

Post by Talisman39 »

I have this same issue but a different solution as I get distracted by the mess of icons on my desktop while in apps other than writing also. My solution is to hide everything except the front-most app, and then use a little utility called deskshade to cover the icons on the desktop. Basically it takes your desktop image (or solid color or pattern) and uses it to remove all the icons, with a nice little fade-in/out flair. I assign F8 to it so I can use it whenever. It's also great when doing Powerpoints to clients and you want to hide all your top-secret work sitting on your desktop :)

You can find Deskshade at: http://www.macrabbit.com/deskshade/

(Not affiliated, just like it a lot)

Adam
TheLastShack

Post by TheLastShack »

I am definitely hoping for a fullscreen mode. I currently use Ulysses in fullscreen mode for creative writing, but as a college student, I would like to have a decent fullscreen mode in a decent word processor as well (unlike that of Microsoft Word). Please add the feature! :D
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Oddly, I think I like the clutter of my desktop and crap surrounding my writing window. I make my NWE window very minimal (though not without my beloved tooldrawer), but my desktop adds some color.

I think I'll give that Deskshade thing a try, since that'll remove the icons that get in the way.

There are times, however, that I might enjoy writing in an uber-minimal environment, so I give a "sure" vote on the full-screen thing as well.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Whoa! Just wanted to mention that I tried using Deskshade for my writing background, and it is sweet! I have a hunch this may be my ideal writing environment, so Nisus can stop bothering with full-screen stuff. :wink:
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

What's that gag in Pale Fire? Something like "I'm sorry, but there's a very loud amusement park across the street from me right now."
dagaz

Post by dagaz »

charles wrote:Thanks for this feedback. We have added it to our list of things to do. Can you tell me more about why you are looking for this feature? What do you get out of a full screen approach compared to just maximizing your window? Do you need any controls besides the raw text?

-Charles
I have just bought a new MacBook and as Word is not yet a UB I thought I'd ditch it. At the moment I'm tossing up between Mellel and NWE. As soon as I saw that NWE had full screen mode I thought "this could be the deal breaker for me." However, to make it more usable it really needs three things:

1) be able to set a page width guide because typing across the whole screen can get a bit much

2) be able to set a page buffer at the bottom of the screen so that us laptop users aren't continually peering down at our knuckles when typing

3) a page zoom so that the writing becomes a bit larger.

My favourite implementation of full screen mode is in the application viJournal which has all these features. It also has a little control strip come up when you hover your mouse over either the top or bottom edge of the screen.
RDNZL

Post by RDNZL »

I'm desperately longing for a decent full screen mode in NWE too.

I like how full screen mode has been implemented in applications like Macjournal and (trendsetter) Ulysses: customizable background color, font color, margin settings, zoom factor.

I prefer a black background and an amber or a green font color - like in the old MS-DOS Word Perfect days!