Can't print with Nisus 6.5 in OS 10.2.4

Nisus Thesaurus, Nisus Writer Classic– this is the place for all other Nisus products.
Fastdude

Can't print with Nisus 6.5 in OS 10.2.4

Post by Fastdude »

I just purchased Nisus 6.5 and installed it through OS 10.2.4 in Classic. I get an error every time I try to print in OS X. If I re-boot into OS 9.2.2, then Nisus prints fine.

Is this what I should expect until Nisus Writer X is released?
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Crash when printing

Post by rmark »

I don't understand. If Nisus Writer is running in Classic, why would you even be able to "print in OS X" from Nisus Writer?

Have you set up your printer in Classic appropriately (Chooser, and all that)?
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Fastdude

Printing in OS X

Post by Fastdude »

:oops: Mark, Sorry I wasn't clear enough. If I run OS 9.2.2 natively, Nisus prints just fine (yes, my printer in selected in the Chooser).

If I run OS 10.2 and use Nisus in "Classsic" mode, I get an error message when I try to print the same document. The error message says there was a system error. I CAN print from any application that is a true OS X app.

Any suggestions?
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Printing Nisus Writer Classic when booted in OS X

Post by rmark »

We're making progress.

Can you print from any other Classic applications when booted in X?

What happens if you turn off all extensions (other than those required for printing) and restart Classic and then print?

What is the exact text of the error message you get?
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Fastdude

Can't print in Classic mode

Post by Fastdude »

rmark,

I cannot print at all from any Classic apps, including Outlook Express and Nisus. I did try turning off as many Extensions as possible, with no luck.

It seems likely that the problem is not directly related to Nisus, but what might be the solution?

Again, to repeat, in native OS 9.2.2 Nisus and all other such apps print fine.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Can't print in Classic mode

Post by rmark »

Perhaps, rather than turning off all Extensions. Restart Classic with the "Basic" or "All" (i.e. only the standard minimum or maximum) sets and see what happens.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Fastdude

Tried ALL and BASIC extensions

Post by Fastdude »

Mark,
I did as you suggested: tried Classic with ALL or just BASIC extensions loaded. The usual error says that the HP printer cannot be found. However, as I said previously, I can print from any OS X-native app, and, if I boot from OS 9.2.2, I can print just fine.
Fastdude

Problem Solved!

Post by Fastdude »

For some unknown reason, in Classic mode, the only thing that shows in the Apple menu are the "Recent Apps/ Doc/ Servers" submenus. However, when I run OS9 natively, everything, including the Chooser, is there. I thought this was normal for Classic mode and so didn't know how to select the printer in Classic.

The fix was to "Find" the Chooser app, run it, and select the printer. Now it works for all OS9 apps.

Sorry to have bothered you here, but Nisus Writer is the most important Classic app that I use.
:D
Candace

Post by Candace »

Can you explain how to "run 9.2 natively?" I too am having problems printing (HP all in one printer) from Classic on my recently donated iMac and after googling, have learned that HP says that printing from Classic is not supported.
If I knew how to run 9.2 natively, that would solve my problems (I hope). Thanks. Candace
Candace

Post by Candace »

Turns out I can't run 9.2 natively because my iMac won't do it. So now I am looking for a printer that prints well from Classic via USB. Any ideas? HP's (which is what I have) evidently do not do well with Classic via USB. Thanks. Candace
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Candace,

I know this is a "roundabout" process, but, it's a lot cheaper than trying to find a printer that will print from Classic (less and less do).

If you have the "LaserWriter 8" printer driver in your OS 9 Extensions folder you can choose it in the Chooser. Then, when you choose Print in Nisus Writer Classic you will be able to "print" the Classic file to a PostScript file.

Then, take that PostScript file (the filename will have ".ps" at the end of it) and drop it on Preview. This converts the file to a PDF.

You can then print the document in OS X from Preview.

It's a bit tedious if you're printing drafts you need to change regularly, but it does work.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Candace

Post by Candace »

rmark wrote:Candace,

I know this is a "roundabout" process, but, it's a lot cheaper than trying to find a printer that will print from Classic (less and less do).

If you have the "LaserWriter 8" printer driver in your OS 9 Extensions folder you can choose it in the Chooser. Then, when you choose Print in Nisus Writer Classic you will be able to "print" the Classic file to a PostScript file.

Then, take that PostScript file (the filename will have ".ps" at the end of it) and drop it on Preview. This converts the file to a PDF.

You can then print the document in OS X from Preview.

It's a bit tedious if you're printing drafts you need to change regularly, but it does work.
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the idea (any tedium would be better than being cut off from Nisus Classic, at least til NWE has TOC and index capacity); sadly, no soap. I found Laserwrite 8 in a disabled extensions file in OS 9, put it in the extensions folder, restarted, picked it in Chooser --- but Chooser says I need to be connected to an Appletalk Network for Laserwrite 8 to print. I clicked yes for Appletalk Network just in case the gods felt merciful, but they didn't; it said no.
If by chance there is something easy to do to make Laserwrite 8 work, I'm all ears.....thx again. C
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Candace,

Indeed. That is what the Chooser tells you.

Nonetheless, when you then choose Print from within Nisus Writer Classic, do you see the LaserWriter 8 Print dialog? (You will, likely get an alert indicating that "This printer cannot print because this application is not AppleEvent aware and you have not installed Desktop Print 2.0 software." or something to that effect.) Simply click OK and you should then see a print dialog with the version number of the LaserWriter 8 in the upper right corner. Immediately beneath that number you'll see a pop-up menu called "Destination" and the pre-selected option is File. The remainder should be rather straight-forward.

Please let me know of that doesn't work.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Candace

Post by Candace »

Holy moly!!!! It worked!!!! The PDF file is backwards - that is, page 1 is last and page last is first - but I don't think that's a big deal. Thank you, Mark. This may save my life. You are a geeeeeeeeeeenius!

Now can you tell me why when I'm in Nisus Classic and I go to Save, it doesn't show all my file and documents? Could that be because the person who transferred the files into this new computer put them all into a folder on the dock, so Nisus doesn't see them?

Thanks again for printer suggestions - if this works when I create a doc from scratch instead of just test with something existing I will be dancing for joy. Cheers, Candace
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Candace,

Oh shucks…. You're welcome.
Now can you tell me why when I'm in Nisus Classic and I go to Save, it doesn't show all my file and documents? Could that be because the person who transferred the files into this new computer put them all into a folder on the dock, so Nisus doesn't see them?
I've no clue what's going on here. However, what you see with that folder in the Dock is simply an alias to the file on your hard drive. What happens when you click your mouse and hold the button down when pointing to the folder in the Dock and you choose (from the menu that appears) "Show in Finder"?
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.