Drop Cap?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
bigcaat

Drop Cap?

Post by bigcaat »

Hi.
Is there a way to do a drop cap in Nisus?

Thanks,
Caat
midwinter

Re: Drop Cap?

Post by midwinter »

bigcaat wrote:Hi.
Is there a way to do a drop cap in Nisus?

Thanks,
Caat
Edit>convert
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I think Midwinter misread your question, perhaps thinking you'd asked about converting to all caps. To my knowledge, Nisus Writer Express can't do drop caps at this time. Perhaps that feature will get added in some future release. I'd like to have the ability, but have to admit it isn't high on my personal wish list since I rarely need to use drop caps.

--Craig
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Wow, did I ever misread that!
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

What's drop caps anyway? :?: :?
Peter Edwardsson
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

A drop cap is the first letter of a paragraph that is enlarged and placed so that it descends below the baseline of the first line of the paragraph. It might be as tall as two or three lines of regular text, and generally it sits fully or partly inside the left margin so that the rest of the text wraps to its right.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Oh, I see. That's something I doubt I would have any use for. But you never know for sure.
Peter Edwardsson
bigcaat

Post by bigcaat »

Too bad about the drop caps. I do hope they add the option at some point. But I didn't know about the edit>convert thing either. That helps also.

Thanks,
Caat
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm not sure if RTF supports drop caps. It's possible Nisus could cleverly engineer around that, but I'm at a loss to how they'd approach that.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Generally if we want to add a feature that isn't part of the RTF spec we can add our own custom "control". For instance, we added vertical/horizontal gradients for table cell backgrounds, so we had to invent our own control (in this case "nisusbgaxial").

Luckily these new controls don't interfere with the document, since applications will skip controls they don't understand. The drawback is that if you open your document in Word and resave it, the extra feature will be lost. So we really don't like to introduce new controls unless there is another alternative.
Stu

Drop Caps

Post by Stu »

A work around is to insert a Gif or PNG graphic and let the text flow round the graphic
bigcaat

Re: Drop Caps

Post by bigcaat »

Stu wrote:A work around is to insert a Gif or PNG graphic and let the text flow round the graphic
Thank you, Stu. I tried that, but couldn't figure out how to make the text flow around it. How do you do that?

Thanks,
Caat
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

So far Nisus Writer Express won't let text wrap around graphics. That's supposed to be introduced in a future version.

--Craig
bigcaat

Post by bigcaat »

cchapin wrote:So far Nisus Writer Express won't let text wrap around graphics. That's supposed to be introduced in a future version.

--Craig
Thanks, Craig.

Caat
NisusUser

Re: Drop Cap?

Post by NisusUser »

Is it still true that NWP (2.0.6) does not support drop caps? This is the NW Express forum, but I actually had in mind Nisus Writer Pro, since that's what I have.