Official Nisus Writer Express 2.7 Beta Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Official Nisus Writer Express 2.7 Beta Thread

Post by dave »

Just when you thought it was safe to stick with Express 2.6.1, we give you Express 2.7 Beta 1.

You can download this beta version from the Express Beta page. Release notes are here.

This release adds the following new features:

Multikey keyboard shortcuts.
Leader tabs.
Attribute dropper toolbar item lets you easily copy-paste attributes and character styles.
Added more color customization in the preferences.

This release also addresses many issues with footnotes/endnotes, so if you are brave enough to test, that is a key area to ... well, test.

Thank you for your valuable support!
Agnostus

toolbar icons

Post by Agnostus »

Downloaded the beta, and one thing that comes to mind, is that... errrrr... actually, the toolbar icons are a bit ugly... I realized this (after having used NWE for a year now) when I put the attribute dropper in the bar, which really is a bit... well... Compared to other Cocoa programs, NWE could use a bit of beautification in terms of icons. Which seems particularly striking because of the otherwise excellent interface (I think you have allready received a lot of credits for that). So, how about new icons? And maybe the 10.4 unified toolbar look? Oh, pleeeeeaaaaaaaase
Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus

Post by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus »

Heh. Agreed. I hid the toolbar the moment I installed Nisus. ;)
PowerPC; Mac OS 10.5.8; NWP 1.4
DavidK

Re: Official Nisus Writer Express 2.7 Beta Thread

Post by DavidK »

dave wrote:Attribute dropper toolbar item lets you easily copy-paste attributes and character styles.
How does one use the Attribute dropper without installing it on the toolbar? It is the same as "Paste text only" and "Remove Attributes and Styles?"
gemboy27

speaking of sticky

Post by gemboy27 »

I've noticed that with 2.7 that the open file window sometimes sticks on your screen even after the file has opened

g5 1.83 intel, 10.4.5
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
cchapin

Re: Official Nisus Writer Express 2.7 Beta Thread

Post by cchapin »

DavidK wrote:How does one use the Attribute dropper without installing it on the toolbar? It is the same as "Paste text only" and "Remove Attributes and Styles?"
I don't see a way to use the Attribute Dropper without showing the Toolbar and putting the dropper in the Toolbar. It would be nice if there were another way because I usually don't keep the Toolbar visible.

The Attribute Dropper doesn't appear to be the same as either Paste Text Only" or "Remove Attributes and Styles." I just played around with it, and here's how it seems to work. If you have a bit of text with character formatting that you want to reproduce elsewhere (character style, font attributes, and/or highlight color), you select that bit of text, then click the Attribute Dropper, then drag across any other text you want to apply those attributes to. You can keep dragging across other bits of text to apply the attributes. To stop, click (instead of dragging) or use a document navigation key (e.g., the right arrow).

--Craig
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The attribute dropper is just a more convenient way of doing a Copy/Paste Font operation. So you can just use those menu items if you don't have the toolbar showing.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

martin wrote:The attribute dropper is just a more convenient way of doing a Copy/Paste Font operation. So you can just use those menu items if you don't have the toolbar showing.
Thanks for clarifying that, Martin. Copy/Paste Font is one of the few Copy/Paste options I don't use regularly. I hadn't realized it would pick up and apply highlighting and character styles as well.

--Craig
gemboy27

thanks for the good work

Post by gemboy27 »

Just got b2, logged on about 5 minutes after you put it up

thanks for the hard work
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

gemboy27 wrote:I've noticed that with 2.7 that the open file window sometimes sticks on your screen even after the file has opened
This should be fixed for beta 2.
cchapin wrote:Copy/Paste Font is one of the few Copy/Paste options I don't use regularly. I hadn't realized it would pick up and apply highlighting and character styles as well.
Yeah, I can understand that. I'm don't care for the menu name myself... perhaps I should talk to everyone and see why we named it that in the first place :P
gemboy27 wrote:Just got b2, logged on about 5 minutes after you put it up
Whoa, you're on top of things!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

As gemboy has noticed, BETA 2 is available for download. Plenty of fixes this time around. Download and release notes in the usual place:

http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/

If any of you have any comments on anything besides how hideous our icons are, we're happy to hear it ;) Especially if you do work with footnotes and endnotes, since we'd really like to make them solid for this release. Thanks everyone.
Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus

Post by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus »

Missed Beta 2; using Beta 3 now.

Bug: pasting inserts a carriage return!
PowerPC; Mac OS 10.5.8; NWP 1.4
gemboy27

pasting into find

Post by gemboy27 »

Happens when you past into find as well

and shen you highlight something and drag it to another spot, holding the option key the text will copy to the new spot ---- a return is added to that as well.
gemboy27

glitchy

Post by gemboy27 »

2.7b3 seems extra glitchy

• spell check isn't working, or it finds miss-spelled words, but doesn't offer suggestions

• the font is in my default (georgia) but shows Halvetica or other

• when pasting in tight like between brackets, adds spaces. so if have

<html> and I highlight 'html' and try to paste 'lucky' in place I get < lucky > not <lucky> which is prefered

intel iMac, 10.4.5 2g ram
2.7b3
Agnostus

headers, footers

Post by Agnostus »

Sorry, for the icon comments... No offense meant.

I did not work with footnotes so far, but I guess it is therefore I stumbled across something sort-of-related: I have a document with pagenumbers in the footer, but not more. Yet I have not managed to decrease the size (vertical) of the footer. So, I end up with this rather substantial lower page margin. Could this be a bug? I tried dragging the upper border of the footer frame, but that did was possible only for a milimeter or so, and after that, funnily, the footer/text margins varied from page to page.