Footnote divider

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
ngazidja

Footnote divider

Post by ngazidja »

In NW classic I seem to recall that it was possible to set the distance between the horizontal line above the footnotes and the text above. Is this no longer possible? I have some text that is pretty much sitting on the line and it looks terrible.
midwinter

Re: Footnote divider

Post by midwinter »

ngazidja wrote:In NW classic I seem to recall that it was possible to set the distance between the horizontal line above the footnotes and the text above. Is this no longer possible? I have some text that is pretty much sitting on the line and it looks terrible.
Have you tried the latest beta? Loads of footnote issues were fixed.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

ngazidja wrote:In NW classic I seem to recall that it was possible to set the distance between the horizontal line above the footnotes and the text above. Is this no longer possible? I have some text that is pretty much sitting on the line and it looks terrible.
I would like to see that facility but it is fairly easily solved by inserting a blank line.

The problem I have is with the separator line and the footnote text below. The fn number actually runs into the line, if the number is in superscript. There is nothing I can do to alter it so I think there is either a bug or something in the text engine needs altering. It could do with a couple of points (or more) of additional separation between line and footnote marker. Ideally the degree of separation should be via user choice, but that might be difficult.

Don't know if anyone else has found this.
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

I'm back with this again, not sure why I never followed it up, frustration, I guess... :^)

Any suggestions? I still have the text above the footnote divider line almost touching the line, and putting in a blank line isn't really a solution since it conjures up all sorts of subsequent editing nightmares (adding text then reqauires moving the blank lines, force justifying - which I don't think we can do anyway... - etc.).

Iain.
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

I suppose I have to raise this every year or so :)

Has anything changed? Can I set space above or space below the divider? These days I'm using Pro 1.0.3.

Iain.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

ngazidja wrote:Can I set space above or space below the divider? These days I'm using Pro 1.0.3.
In Style Sheet=>Note Styles=>Divider Line=>Align in Gutter apply 'Top' or 'Bottom' from the drop-down menu, and in the 'Gutter Height' box, just above the Divider Line options, enter the numeric value.
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

That is good news.

Thanks!