The bottom half of each page number is not printing

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Candace

The bottom half of each page number is not printing

Post by Candace »

Help!! After wrestling through all the sections and finally getting footers with proper page number format through my document, I printed it out and found that only the top of each number is getting printed - as in, if you want to print an "i", you get only the dot. No message from 2.7 that doc exceeds printable margins.
I went back and squished the footers to the smallest size - no difference in printing. Changed the margins on the doc - no difference.

HELP!!!! Thanks. Candace Hale
Mark XM

Re: The bottom half of each page number is not printing

Post by Mark XM »

Candace wrote:Help!! After wrestling through all the sections and finally getting footers with proper page number format through my document, I printed it out and found that only the top of each number is getting printed - as in, if you want to print an "i", you get only the dot. No message from 2.7 that doc exceeds printable margins.
I went back and squished the footers to the smallest size - no difference in printing. Changed the margins on the doc - no difference.

HELP!!!! Thanks. Candace Hale
Are you using an inkjet printer, one which doesn't do borderless printing? It sounds very much like the bottom half of the number is actually in the area of the page which your printer can't print as it needs that last bit to control the movement of the paper while it is printing right at the bottom of the page. You probably need to increase the bottom margin sufficiently to allow the full depth of your footer to be printed above that non-printing area. The non-printing area on my Epson SP890 was of the order of 5/8"

HTH
Mark
Candace

Post by Candace »

That makes so much sense I guess I have to wrestle my printer back from the other room where it is once again hooked up to my old computer (running 9.2, hence beloved Nisus Writer, not NWE) and try again, even though I swore I wasn't going to lug it in here one more time today...

Thanks. I'll post if it works. Cheers, Candace
Mark XM

Post by Mark XM »

Candace wrote:That makes so much sense I guess I have to wrestle my printer back from the other room where it is once again hooked up to my old computer (running 9.2, hence beloved Nisus Writer, not NWE) and try again, even though I swore I wasn't going to lug it in here one more time today...

Thanks. I'll post if it works. Cheers, Candace
Bit late maybe, but would it not be possible to save the document as RTF, take it through to the old machine, open it in Nisus Writer and print it there ... moving documents requires much less heaving than moving printers!
:D
Mark
Candace

Post by Candace »

It's not too late - I'm putting off lugging the printer until tomorrow morning....but I did try to save it and then open in Nisus Writer, but the formatting (yes, drat) did not come through well.

I'd rather just write the doc in Nisus Writer the first time round. So far the only reason to run OSX appears to be better use of the Web.
I love Nisus Writer so much and have used it so long, I am having a lot of trouble with NWE, part of which appears to be buggy stuff and part of which, of course, is operator error.

I will be very interested to see if making the printer margins bigger helps. They were originally set at .69; I changed them to 1 inch earlier today but it didn't do the trick. You mentioned 5/8 of an inch, but I assume that's above the default .69. Is there a number you'd suggest?
Mark XM

Post by Mark XM »

Candace wrote:I'd rather just write the doc in Nisus Writer the first time round. So far the only reason to run OSX appears to be better use of the Web.
I love Nisus Writer so much and have used it so long, I am having a lot of trouble with NWE, part of which appears to be buggy stuff and part of which, of course, is operator error.
I will be very interested to see if making the printer margins bigger helps. They were originally set at .69; I changed them to 1 inch earlier today but it didn't do the trick. You mentioned 5/8 of an inch, but I assume that's above the default .69. Is there a number you'd suggest?
Funny ... I had Nisus Writer for years, and although there were aspects of it that I liked, I found the named styles and auto-switching of paragraph styles never worked for me, and I didn't like the rendering on paper, interline spacing and font rendering particularly. Word did those much better, I thought. I had it mostly 'cos we had a lab full of Macs running Nisus Writer at the university where I worked for the students learning languages using non-Roman fonts (with the exception of Russian) and I needed to have it to hand. I really liked Word 5.1, but had to move up as everyone else with whom I was sharing documents did.
On the other hand, when I moved on to OS-X, which I much prefer to OS9, I couldn't afford Office-X or an upgrade, but found Mellel and NWE.
I have had bugs problems with NWE, much to do with the fact that I get sent docs on various flavours of Chinese Word, but over the years they have got sorted--and the bods at Nisus are really great and helpful. And I think the NWE interface is great ... by far my favourite word processor, and I've got nearly all of them bar Word.
So I have no experience of trying to open NWE documents in Nisus Writer.
On what the spacing is, without knowing precisely which printer you have and trying, I can't be sure. The manual should tell you. But go to <Page Setup> and make sure it says "Format for" the printer in question; I guess at the moment it may say "Any printer" or your other printer. That should re-paginate taking into consideration the default margins of the printer, including the non-printing areas and do the job for you. You will need to check through the document afterwards, because if you've put in any hard page-breaks they will be rotting up the new pagination. Check before you press <Print> on the print dialog that that same printer is selected.
Also go to <Preferences> and open up the "Nisus New File" and do the page set-up for this printer on that machine and re-save it, though if this one set as the default printer there should be no problem. If it will do borderless printing, you can set that under the paper selection in the Page set up dialog, though I haven't tried yet--my new R350 (Same as R340 but built for China with Chinese as well as English interface) does it but I haven't had time to play around with it.

HTH
Mark
Candace

Post by Candace »

The mystery is starting to resolve --- inspired by your ideas, I did lug the printer back in, checked all settings (which were okay) and did a test doc - which printed perfectly. Back to original brief - still no page numbers. Set all margins, footers, exactly like test doc - still no page numbers. Copied text out of original brief into test doc - printed perfectly.

Possibly the journey from Nisus Writer to NWE somehow messed with something that made the printing wonky. Can think of nothing else.

But the good news is, I've got page numbers! Thanks for your suggestions.

By the way, quick tip for actually seeing rulers in the text? I've hit "show rulers," but they only show a ruler bar, not as a ruler next to the text, as seems more useful. Cheers, C
Mark XM

Post by Mark XM »

Candace wrote:The mystery is starting to resolve --- inspired by your ideas, I did lug the printer back in, checked all settings (which were okay) and did a test doc - which printed perfectly. Back to original brief - still no page numbers. Set all margins, footers, exactly like test doc - still no page numbers. Copied text out of original brief into test doc - printed perfectly.

Possibly the journey from Nisus Writer to NWE somehow messed with something that made the printing wonky. Can think of nothing else.[/

But the good news is, I've got page numbers! Thanks for your suggestions.
Glad you've got it sorted so you've got page numbers. Actually, if you were still drawing a blank, my next suggestion would have been to copy the whole text and paste it into a new file, set the page numbers in that and see if they came up then.
Someone else will know how page numbering is coded in Nisus Writer and NWE to be able to suggest why the problem should have arisen in transferring the file.
Candace wrote:By the way, quick tip for actually seeing rulers in the text? I've hit "show rulers," but they only show a ruler bar, not as a ruler next to the text, as seems more useful. Cheers, C
Sadly Nisus haven't yet implemented vertical rulers in NWE. I'm sure it's been asked for many times, so I hope they will be available in a forthcoming release. Very useful, I know.
Incidentally, in InDesign, using my Epson SP890, I had to set a bottom margin of 48 points to avoid the last line being clipped in any way ... that's basically 4/6 of an inch. You'll probably be looking at a similar figure for yours.