10.4.7 and program assignment

Nisus Thesaurus, Nisus Writer Classic– this is the place for all other Nisus products.
useeger

10.4.7 and program assignment

Post by useeger »

Hello,

since I updated my iMac G5 to 10.4.7 all my (thousands of) NisusWriter Classic files became TextEdit files. It is possible in the information window to change a single file into "Open with NisusWriter". But if I want to change them all, they become TextEdit Files again. If I open a file with NisusWriter and save it, it also becomes a TextEdit file.

Already checked my harddisc, made repairings with the hard disc tool, did rebuild the MacOs 9 Desktop and used "Onyx" to rebuild the LaunchServices and the program assignment. Nothing helped.

Any further suggestions?

Ulrich
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm sorry to say that this appears to be a bug with 10.4.7 itself. We don't know any way to work around it, but have reported the issue to Apple. It may help motivate Apple to fix the bug if you contact them yourself as well.
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

What's the best way to report this to Apple?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Probably their feedback page:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
useeger

Workaround

Post by useeger »

A workaround for the problem is described in

http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1579

Thanks Kino and thanks Mark!

Ulrich
ninjagame

It just won't work

Post by ninjagame »

I tried the workaround but it didn't work. The reason may be that I'm running a German version of Nisus Writer Classic 6.0.1. I tried the renaming trick, too, but when I choose the "DropOpenWith" in "Get Info", it insisted on marking my file(s) as "NW 603", or "513" or "65", respectively, that is, after the (renamed) Apps I choose. When I tried to open a document, the App did launch but kind of collapsed a second later - in my understanding because, obviously, there is no such application as "NW 6.0.3", "NW 6.5" or "NW 5.1.3" on my machine.
It's not this urgent an issue since this is the last project I'm running on NW Classic but I thought some feedback would be OK.

ninjagame