Microsoft Word Bookmarks and Hyperlinks?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
gary

Microsoft Word Bookmarks and Hyperlinks?

Post by gary »

Hi,

I'm trying out Nisus Writer Express. I'm looking for an alternative to Word that is Universal. It looks really nice.

I'm curious about some of its features. One thing that I really need is complete hyperlink and bookmark compatibility. I notice that Nisus reads and displays Word hyperlinks correctly. Though it seems that hyperlinks to places within the same document aren't clickable. I'm also not sure how hyperlinks and bookmarks between documents works.

Is there also a way to manage and list bookmarks and hyperlinks?

I'm really hoping these features are in Nisus somewhere or could be added.

Thanks.

Gary
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I believe that Nisus Writer, the pre-Mac OS X version of Nisus Writer Express, had something very much like what you want. (Not having used Nisus Writer, I can't say for certain.) So far, though, Nisus Writer Express doesn't support this. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up eventually, but it isn't there right now.

--Craig
gary

Post by gary »

Hi Craig,

Thanks.

I also assume that better bookmark and hyperlink handling will eventually make it to NWE. For the moment, I'm afraid to use NWE for anything else than reading my documents. I'm not sure if those features or my TOC will get erased. I also have strange formatting problems for the moment. At least NWE is amazing fast handling multi meg files.
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

cchapin wrote:I believe that Nisus Writer, the pre-Mac OS X version of Nisus Writer Express, had something very much like what you want. (Not having used Nisus Writer, I can't say for certain.) So far, though, Nisus Writer Express doesn't support this. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up eventually, but it isn't there right now.

--Craig
Nisus Writer Classic had brilliant cross-referencing capabilities and I do miss this in Nisus Writer Express.

Nisus Writer Classic didn't do hypertext links in the normal sense however documents could be linked together using the rather marvellous "Page As Graphic" capability. This was where you could include one (or more) documents within another document. This would be as an image of the included document(s). If you double clicked the "image" it would open up for editing. If you made the "Page As Graphic" very small, about the size of a character it became effectively a button allowing you to double click it to open another document.
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

You can create a link to any current file in your computer:
1. Open the insert link dialogue.
2. Drag the file from the finder into the "Link Destination Box"
3. Prepend "file:" (no quotes) to the start of the file name.

Admittedly this is a far cry from what Nisus Classic did, nor does it address the issue of managing links.
gemboy27

short cut short cut

Post by gemboy27 »

Thank you, I was forever trying to find the path to files and now I have this little tidbit

thank you
Gem*Boy
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)