new footnote problem

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Candace

new footnote problem

Post by Candace »

NWE just told me that a one line footnote was too long to fit and that it would put it in the main body of the document, where the reference was. (Document was in rtf; had started in NWE, then been worked on in Word, then opened in NWE. It may have started in Nisus Classic, as a matter of fact, in case that makes any difference).

There are two problems with this: 1) How can a one line footnote be too long? and 2) I can't imagine how it could be acceptable to simply place the footnote text back into the main document.

Is this a bug?

Or just punishment for being so happy at having my italics question answered so smoothly?
Candace

Candace
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: new footnote problem

Post by martin »

Candace wrote:1) How can a one line footnote be too long? and 2) I can't imagine how it could be acceptable to simply place the footnote text back into the main document.
A one line footnote shouldn't be too long to fit... you weren't doing anything odd like increasing the font size to 128pt or anything :P were you? If you can reproduce this behavior with a one line footnote let me know what you did to trigger it and we can see if there's anything we can fix on our end.

As for whether this is a bug in general, no it is not, but we realize this limitation is a problem for our users. We are looking into adding support for multi-page footnotes for a future release.
Candace

Post by Candace »

martin wrote: A one line footnote shouldn't be too long to fit... you weren't doing anything odd like increasing the font size to 128pt or anything :P were you?
Hi Martin,
Nope, nothing unusual at all. If it happens again I will try and figure out what preceded it.
martin wrote:
We are looking into adding support for multi-page footnotes for a future release.
I would put that support high in my requests for the future release, right after TOC and index abilities. In the meantime, is there a way to adjust the place the footnote appears on the page so that if the footnote WERE too long, I could just move the footnote delineation line? Because it will never be okay to just place the footnote in text. That's a decision I need to make on composition, editing, grounds, rather than because my word processor so decrees. :? javascript:emoticon(':?')
Thanks for quick response. Cheers, Candace
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Candace, Send the file, or the shortest piece that reproduces the problem, to Nisus.

Cheers!
Candace

Post by Candace »

Candace wrote:
martin wrote: Thanks for quick response.
Oh, bah. I meant " Thank you for the quick response you have already provided," not "Thanks for responding quickly to this other question."

And yes, I will send file if it happens again. Cheers, Candace

P.S. That was my first try with an emoticon. Why did it reproduce with the code as well as the image?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Candace wrote:is there a way to adjust the place the footnote appears on the page so that if the footnote WERE too long, I could just move the footnote delineation line?
There is no need to move the footnote separation line, as it should adjust automatically as your footnotes expand. You should only receive the "footnote is too large" message if a single footnote becomes taller than about 1/2 of the page height. If that situation does occur there is no way of preventing Express from dumping the note into your body text.
Oh, bah. I meant " Thank you for the quick response you have already provided," not "Thanks for responding quickly to this other question."
Don't worry, I know I that couldn't have responded before I even read your question :P
P.S. That was my first try with an emoticon. Why did it reproduce with the code as well as the image?
Hm, it's hard to say after the fact... did you just click the little emoticon icon, or did you try to copy/paste/drag it as well?
Candace

Post by Candace »

Hm, it's hard to say after the fact... did you just click the little emoticon icon, or did you try to copy/paste/drag it as well?[/quote]

Clicked twice and dragged (can you tell I was impatient?) I think I've got it now.... :D