What do you write with Nisus (Writer Express)

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
midwinter

Re: NWX - Invaluable Assistant

Post by midwinter »

Phil82 wrote:
midwinter wrote:
I should pipe up and say that NWE helped me get the weirdest rejection letter from an academic journal I've ever gotten.
I would be interested to know what that weird rejection letter said? Perhaps the document produced with NWE didn't meet their guidelines?
Complaints were loosely as follows:

1) I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU RELIED ON SOURCE A AND SOURCE B!! SOURCE B IS HORRENDOUSLY FLAWED AND HAD BASIC ERRORS OF FACT!!! AND SOURCE A IS MUCH WEAKER THAN THE AUTHOR'S MORE RECENT WORK ON A TOTALLY UNRELATED TOPIC!

Response: It was a friggin' footnote and all I said was "the only people talking about this subject are source A and source B." That's it. One sentence.

2) I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU POINTED OUT THAT THIS STUDY IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE THESE TEXTS AREN'T AVAILABLE IN THE US! VERY LITTLE OF WHAT WE PUBLISH IS AVAILABLE IN THE US!! IN FACT, WE JUST PUBLISHED SOMETHING ON THIS A FEW YEARS AGO!

Response: My point was that ONLY VOLUME THREE is available in the US, and what you published was only on that volume.

3) IT'S TOO LONG!! IT'S TOO WORDY!! IT'S TOO LONG!! BUT CUT IT IN HALF AND IT'S PUBLISHABLE.

Response: Fair enough.

4) EDITOR'S RESPONSE: WE'RE GONNA PASS.

Response: Fair enough.

In essence, all the comments about the argument were bizarre and contradictory and made no sense. All the comments about the prose were spot on.

So I spent Monday and cut ~4000 words and will give it another round of reading with some trusted colleagues and then send it off again to a better journal that won't keep it for NINE MONTHS and then reject it.
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

Well, that makes me really curious of your article's subject!

ninjagame
scottwhitlock

Rejections galore...

Post by scottwhitlock »

Midwinter, I'm right there with you. I just got a rejection from an important journal yesterday.

Let's have a beer and commiserate (sp?).

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
midwinter

Re: Rejections galore...

Post by midwinter »

scottwhitlock wrote:Midwinter, I'm right there with you. I just got a rejection from an important journal yesterday.

Let's have a beer and commiserate (sp?).

Scott
I have to teach a night class tonight, but tomorrow, man, YOU'RE ON. It's funny, this process. I don't think I've ever gotten a rejection that made any real sense. Well, I take that back. My first publication was a revise and resubmit, and their comments were AMAZING. This rejection? 9 months. One reader-report that, as you can see above, amounts to weirdness followed by an editorial decision to pass on it.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

ninjagame wrote:Well, that makes me really curious of your article's subject!

ninjagame
It usually raises eyebrows (it begins with a "pros" and ends with a "titution") And poor Martin...he must've seen 30 versions of this document send in with bug reports.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

midwinter wrote:It usually raises eyebrows (it begins with a "pros" and ends with a "titution") And poor Martin...he must've seen 30 versions of this document send in with bug reports.
The only thing I miss more than the kittens is the prostitution...
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

martin wrote:
midwinter wrote:It usually raises eyebrows (it begins with a "pros" and ends with a "titution") And poor Martin...he must've seen 30 versions of this document send in with bug reports.
Well, sir. Perhaps if there were a beta of some kind....
Jim Strickland

What I use NWE for

Post by Jim Strickland »

NWE is my primary word processor, and I use it for all word processing jobs, plus it is my primary RTF reader.

Presently I'm using it for (I think) the third year in a row to write my NANOWRIMO novel. This will be the fourth work in excess of 50,000 words that I've done with NWE. It's gotten better every year (had real performance problems with big documents in 2004).

-Jim
-Jim
Phil82

Post by Phil82 »

9 months for a rejection in a journal ain't too bad. It's quite surprising, but in the computer science world, it takes about 3 years for a paper to go from submission to print. I think notification of acceptance/rejection comes in about 9 months.

I would use Nisus for my journal papers, if it provided better handling for formulae. It doesn't provide any support for formulae right now, and that's a bit of a pain.

Things I would really like in Nisus for writing my thesis:
  • Table of Contents generation
  • Formula editor
  • Some way of referencing tables/figures that updates when figure numbers change
Otherwise, I think it's an amazing editor, and does my basic word processing needs. For writing longer papers, etc. I'm still relying on LaTeX.
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

I have been using Nisus for EVERYTHING for the last 15 years, i.e.:
novels
short stories
plays
film scripts
news texts
letters
translations of other people's novels
advertising copy (novels in French don't bring THAT much money)
articles
documentary over-voice texts
essays
forms
invoices
lists
presentations
weekly columns
monthly columns,
... what am I forgetting?
Let's say: etc.

I had a terrible crisis between Nisus Express 1 and 2, tried to use Word bu couldn't, tried to use Mellel, Mariner, Apple Works, Text Edit and a couple of bizarre word processors I found on the internet, but couldn't, it just didn't work… Then came Nisus Express 2.1, everything went back to tolerable, and now, on 2.7, I just wrote a long novel IN ONE SINGLE FILE, WITH NUMBERED CHAPTERS (sections) AND IT WORKED. No itch whatsoever.
Thank you Nisus.
By the way, what about Nisus Express 3?
(Yeah, I know, never satisfied with what one has...)
Anne
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Phil82 wrote:9 months for a rejection in a journal ain't too bad. It's quite surprising, but in the computer science world, it takes about 3 years for a paper to go from submission to print. I think notification of acceptance/rejection comes in about 9 months.
My field (English) isn't much better. Some of our journals say "4 months to notification" and they mean it. Some journals say "4 months" and mean "sort of like the Mexican postal system."

I had a piece published once that was like what you're describing. I wrote it in 97. Sent it to a journal. They kept for 9 months and rejected. Sent to a better journal. They reply with revise and resubmit. I revise and resubmit. They accept. And because each issue of this quarterly journal focuses on a specific historical period, it would be 2003 before I saw publication.
Matze

NWC rules

Post by Matze »

my writing.

I can not write serious stuff in NWE, without feeling "I could have done this task in NWC better, easier, faster etc.".
Mostly it is because of the poorer Search/Find/Macroize capabilities of NWE. Tons of macros I use with NWC, which I can not rebuild in NWE.
So I stick with NWC. (Even though NWE gets better and better.)

Best, Matze
Matze

Post by Matze »

Anne Cuneo wrote:I have been using Nisus for EVERYTHING for the last 15 years, i.e.:
novels

[SNIP]

Then came Nisus Express 2.1, everything went back to tolerable, and now, on 2.7, I just wrote a long novel IN ONE SINGLE FILE, WITH NUMBERED CHAPTERS (sections) AND IT WORKED. )
How do you manage these chapter numbers? In NWC you just type COM 1 or whatever and you have got a chapternumber (the way you want to have it look like e.g. "Chapter 1 of my novel"), no automatisms, no sections, just a number.
Dear Nisus Fellas, why did you change this habit. It's such an easy way to insert Chapternumbers (Subchapters etc.) in NWC and to edit them.

Best, Matze
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

One of the few things I used to use NWE for, was to make tables. But since my primary writing tool - Mellel - nowaday are as able as NWE to make these tables, I hardly use NWE anymore.

But my daughter use NWE as her primary writing tool, writing papers and homeworks.

NWE is a good writing tool, but I really hope that NWE will improve even more. Right now I believe that Mellel is the right writing tool for me.
Last edited by MacSailor on 2009-12-03 06:26:25, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Edwardsson
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

midwinter wrote:
martin wrote:
Well, sir. Perhaps if there were a beta of some kind....
Ooh! I just remembered I forgot to take that kitten out of the jar of formaldehyde!

Ew.

:shock:

Uh, but I use NWE mainly for poetry, short fiction, academic essays, and to toast my bagels*.

*may not actually toast bagels

Does anyone need a pickled cat?