Feature request poll...

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.

What feature would you most like to see incorporated into NWE 3?

Wrapping around images
4%
Widow/Orphan and Keep with Next
10%
Table of Contents/Indexing/Cross-referencing
35%
Comments
8%
Improved Outlining/Lists
10%
All of the above
19%
None of the above (leave comment to add option)
13%

Total votes: 48

scottwhitlock

Feature request poll...

Post by scottwhitlock »

I know that we have covered this before, but not in a poll. This might help the developers understand our needs a bit better.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

Presumably, 3.0 will contain numerous enhancements. A poll which gives the option of only one response is really not the best way to ask the question. What you want is a pole that allows multiple, ranked answers.

I think that the other threads in which people have made requests have spoken loud and clear to the developers.

RK
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

Thanks for the crit, and I thought of this, but the Poll feature doesn't allow for that. And I disagree with you. The feature requests so far have been a jumbled mess.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
techjunk

Print Feature - Batch Print

Post by techjunk »

If the programmers could add a "batch print" feature to the print menu, it could save hours of work for those of us with long documents. For instance, I'm a professional writer, and each chapter is kept in the same folder but saved as the Chapter X.
Currently when I print a complete manuscript, I have to print each file separately. MS Word experts suggest I write a VB macro etc.

A feature like this would be especially useful.
midwinter

Re: Print Feature - Batch Print

Post by midwinter »

techjunk wrote:If the programmers could add a "batch print" feature to the print menu, it could save hours of work for those of us with long documents. For instance, I'm a professional writer, and each chapter is kept in the same folder but saved as the Chapter X.
Currently when I print a complete manuscript, I have to print each file separately. MS Word experts suggest I write a VB macro etc.

A feature like this would be especially useful.
Here's a workflow that you might like:

1) Print something. While the printer icon is in the dock, right click on it and select "keep in dock"
2) Drag whatever files you want to print to the icon.
Jzents

Re: Feature request poll...

Post by Jzents »

scottwhitlock wrote:I know that we have covered this before, but not in a poll. This might help the developers understand our needs a bit better.

Scott
One thing that I think you overlooked for many of us academics is more control over the way footnotes are displayed, how the number in the note looks and so on. Cheers!
Jeffrey Zents
jzents@mac.com
David Waterhouse

footnotes & endnotes

Post by David Waterhouse »

Footnotes and endnotes definitely need more attention! I have been working on a paper which currently has some 55 endnotes. Nisus Writer Express has repeatedly crashed after I have made changes to the endnotes; or at the very least it has developed severe indigestion. I am slightly consoled that as yet I have not lost anything when this happens: but it should not happen at all.

DAVID WATERHOUSE
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I kind of get the sense that Nisus has some neat things in store for us, hence the relative silence before the storm... or, er, before the wave... or, uh, hm. Well, before something good.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Ryan wrote:I kind of get the sense that Nisus has some neat things in store for us, hence the relative silence before the storm... or, er, before the wave... or, uh, hm. Well, before something good.
I don't know...remarkable silence at Nisus means one of the following:

1) New stuff in the next version? I think NOT.

more likely, it's

2) STANDING IN LINE FOR A PS3.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Good point. The evidence and timing is on your side, mid.
TimL

Post by TimL »

I'm not sure if this is included in "Improved Outlining/Lists," that seems to imply just lists within the document. But I'd like to reiterate the request for something like the Mellel outline pane. I know some people have said they'd rather just use OmniOutliner, but I don't see that as the same thing. The point is to be able to navigate and change the structure of your Nisus document easily.
JBL

Post by JBL »

TimL wrote:I'd like to reiterate the request for something like the Mellel outline pane.
I'd vote for this also!
dave
Official Nisus Person

Post by dave »

midwinter wrote:
Ryan wrote:I kind of get the sense that Nisus has some neat things in store for us, hence the relative silence before the storm... or, er, before the wave... or, uh, hm. Well, before something good.
I don't know...remarkable silence at Nisus means one of the following:

1) New stuff in the next version? I think NOT.

more likely, it's

2) STANDING IN LINE FOR A PS3.
You know, I am offended by this. I will state that we were not standing in line for a PS3. We actually work here ... this is not a playhouse where work occasionally gets done.

Please, if you are going to make insinuations like this, at least base it on facts.

And now, off to play Zelda and Donkey Kong, which are code words for work.

Lots and lots of work.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

dave wrote:You know, I am offended by this. I will state that we were not standing in line for a PS3. We actually work here ... this is not a playhouse where work occasionally gets done.

Please, if you are going to make insinuations like this, at least base it on facts.

And now, off to play Zelda and Donkey Kong, which are code words for work.

Lots and lots of work.
You know, Dave, you're right. And I sincerely apologize. You see, I got you guys confused with another company. Unlike them, I'm sure, Nisus is a model of good behavior and doesn't ever screw around. ;)

What it must be like to work in such a place! No one coming up behind you and asking "What are you doing, Dave?" in that HAL 9000 voice! No joking around! No roughhousing! Just good, sober work, in adherence with the scripture (is it scripture? Or is it that lunatic Thomas Carlyle in Sartor Resartus? Or is it both?)! Work while it is Day, the Night cometh when no man can work. Indeed, Nisus-people, indeed. Coding for the impending apocalypse. Work while it is day:

I see your game, now.

And I like it that you guys work so hard that you have special code words for it. I used to do that, too. When I was in graduate school, we used "going to the bar" as code for "working on my dissertation" and "going to the library" as code for "going to the bar." We also used "playing golden tee 2002" as code for "playing golden tee 2002," but that one confused people. We'd say "Hey, do you want to 'play golden tee 2002' tonight?" and they'd say "sure," and we wouldn't see them later at the place with the thing and the stuff and they'd be all "I went to the library" or "I thought you meant work on our dissertations at the place with the thing" and it just got too damned confusing.

I'm going to go have some coffee now. Which is code for "going to have some coffee now." "Going to have," however, is code for "drink." Wait. It's not code. It's actually a kind of broadly used gerundive meaning "drink," although I will certainly have the coffee if I'm going to drink it, and indeed, the "drinking" is kind of implied in the having, right? RIGHT? I mean, who would HAVE coffee but not DRINK it? It's preposterous! An unthinkable situation. Sort of like that time I was sleep-posting on discussion forums. These big, long rambling posts that really didn't make any--zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The notion that there is a fine line between genius and insanity appears to be well exemplified by our forum members :P