Writing direction

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
parlevliet

Writing direction

Post by parlevliet »

I am having trouble creating a language setting.

I have to type Syriac-Estrangelo texts and I can create a 'language' which aligns the text to the right, but typing is still from left-to-right.

I tried to create the 'language' based on Arabic, Hebrew but no success. When I change my keyboard to Hebrew or Arabic in the input menu this works, but when I try to change to my language 'Syriac - EEstrangelo' this doesn't work.

Hope you can help.
Ruchama

language direction

Post by Ruchama »

sorry for the late response, and it will be far from being complete.

I do not know how you created a new language but I was intriuged by your question and started to look around..

what I could see is that in several places at the Apple site a parameter called
defaultWritingDirectionForLanguage:
is mentioned, and maybe- if you know how to create a new language, you may know where to add this parameter. I have a feeling that it will solve yor problem.
will be happy to see a reference to how to create a new language/keyboard.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

What font do you use to write in Syriac-Estrangelo? From where did you get this font. It is possible that the font is not a right-to-left font.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
parlevliet

Post by parlevliet »

I got the font from http://www.bethmardutho.org. The font shows correctly, but when writing, the characters appear from left to right.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Have you tried changing the writing direction to "Right to Left" manually using the menus? Does that fix the problem?
parlevliet

Post by parlevliet »

When I try that, the alignment turns to right so it looks like it is going to type from right to left but the characters get added from left to right
Ruchama

syriac keyboard

Post by Ruchama »

maybe this site will help you; you can download a syriac keyboard there.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/clas ... nn/syriac/

I tried it myself, installed the keyboard and used downloaded fonts, it seems to me that text is written from right to left, (after changing the keyboard to syriacnew, changing language in nisus to arabic(syriac) and using one of the fonts ). but I do not read the language so maybe I am wrong.

will be happy to hear whether it worked for you.

Ruchama