Special Menu Keys

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
hatchmo

Special Menu Keys

Post by hatchmo »

I would like to change the menu keys used to select View->Show Tooldrawer. However, in the Preferences panel a yellow caution icon reads, "Currently bound to 'Tooldrawer'" and displays "Shift-CMD-D". I cannot change it.
Two things indicate to me that it should be changeable:
(1) The programmers' use of the word "currently" instead of "permanently"
(2) Clicking the Set button actually does change the displayed command keys in the Preference pane.

Yet Setting the new keys and restarting Nisus Writer results in odd behavior. The Preference is set, but the actual menu item continues to read "Shift-CMD-D". How do I change this?
Al Hatch
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

You should be able to change that keyboard shortcut. What are you trying to change it to exactly?
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

I'm trying to change it to

Ctrl-CMD-T

It "takes" in the Preference box, but not in the actual menu.
Al Hatch
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

OS X 10.4.8 PB G4

I too cannot change the show/hide tool-drawer menu key.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the information, I've reproduced the problem over here. I think the problem is that the menu changes names from "Show Tooldrawer" to "Hide Tooldrawer". I'll file a bug report describing the problem.
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

Hi

I'm just chipping in to mention to hatchmo one of my favourite Nisus Writer features. It won't be of any help to the problem but it might be very neat to know about for the other keyboard short-cuts hatchmo may want to set.

Uniquely with Nisus Writer a keyboard short-cut can consist of modifier keys and a series of letter or number keys.

To explain...

If the show toolbar short-cut was working then you could use:

command T-O-O-L

you hold down the command key and simultaneously type "TOOL".

An example of one that does work:

To put in a hyperlink I use:

command I-H-L

This brings up the "Insert Hyperlink" sheet.

You see that when you go to the Menu Keys part of the preferences dialogue that you can just type in a series of letters for each command.

Another expample:

For Save As PDF I use:

command P-D-F

Very soon you'll have dozens, maybe hundreds even.

With the old Nisus Writer Classic I had coming on for two hundred of these short-cuts and no problem remembering them because a series of letters is so memorable.

If Steve Jobs had made this available to all applications in OS X he would have been hailed a genius by Mac users everywhere. In addition it would have made OS X better than Windows in the one area that I think Windows is still better than the Mac today which is its keyboard short-cuts system.

However in Nisus Writer we have the best keyboard short-cuts system in any application on any computer imho.

Finally a small feature request:

Could we have the ability to create a file with keyboard short-cuts in it as we had with Nisus Writer classic?
Patrick
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Patrick J's request:
Could we have the ability to create a file with keyboard short-cuts in it as we had with Nisus Writer classic?
is already on the list. But, thanks for the reminder.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.