accent marks in russian

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
lermentov

accent marks in russian

Post by lermentov »

I need to type Russian and put accent marks with the words. On the English keyboard it is easy to do, but I can't find any easy way to accomplish this in Cyrillic. I'm using the Russian phonetic keyboard layout.
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

This appears to be a system phenomenon-- the keyboard behaves the same way in Word.

You CAN insert accented letters from the Character Palette Cyrillic list; just double-click. Ignore the insert box. You could also create a "glossary" document of all the accented letters from the Character Palette that you might want. Keep this open as you work and cut and paste as needed.

I notice that http://www.linguistsoftware.com/tcu.htm offers a very complete unicode font with an accompanying keyboard layout, but I have no experience of these.

Good luck!

Steve
Last edited by ssampler on 2006-10-15 05:43:08, edited 1 time in total.
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

In principle, macro should work for you as well (as it did for me- see the thread "NW 6.5 hebrew files..." below) - i.e. create a macro for the specific character (accent) or characters (a letter + accent) and then with a shortkey it would give you a single step command.
if someone (martin?) could give us the appropriate language code, and you know the unicode number of the accent I may be able to modify the macros I am using to give you a starting point.

Ruchama
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Here is a source for unicodes.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/

Inserting from the Character Palette is easier than I originally stated: just double-click. So I modified my response above.

Steve
lermentov

accent marks in russian

Post by lermentov »

Sorry to take so long to respond. I've checked all the unicode fonts in cyrillic and what I'm looking for is not there. I simply want to put an acute accent over the top of various russian vowels. It helps when I'm studying and want to know which syallable has the emphasis. In English, I simply type option-e and then the character, like this á. I'm still stumped in cyrillic.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

I simply want to put an acute accent over the top of various russian vowels. It helps when I'm studying and want to know which syallable has the emphasis. In English, I simply type option-e and then the character, like this á. I'm still stumped in cyrillic.
Does normal cyrillic text support such characters? If not, you'll probably not be able to do what you want. Here's another possible solution:

Select the stressed syllable and apply some collection of attributes that you do not use in the normal flow of your writing such as bold/italic/underline as illustrated here:
Nisus Writer Express
Or you could use one of the highlight colors.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus

Re: accent marks in russian

Post by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus »

lermentov wrote:Sorry to take so long to respond. I've checked all the unicode fonts in cyrillic and what I'm looking for is not there. I simply want to put an acute accent over the top of various russian vowels. It helps when I'm studying and want to know which syallable has the emphasis. In English, I simply type option-e and then the character, like this á. I'm still stumped in cyrillic.
PowerPC; Mac OS 10.5.8; NWP 1.4
belleinsouciante

Post by belleinsouciante »

Simply go to http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/gw-cyrillic/ ... tressmarks. Just install VremyaAccent into your font book and voilà!