Avery Label templates in NWE???

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
brl...

Avery Label templates in NWE???

Post by brl... »

Hi

Is there an easy way (or failing that, a hard way) to import Avery Label templates into NWE?

Avery's website says that Avery templates are included in OSX Tiger, but I can't find them. Have you seen them?

http://www.avery.com/us/software/index.jsp

The templates on the Avery website are all for MicroSoft products.

The freestanding Avery DesignPro software only runs on Windows. I have version 4 on an older PC, and it is a pain to use.

Thanks!

BRL...
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I don't know an easy way. A hard way, and one I wouldn't recommend, is to create a table and try to match the dimensions of the labels on the sheet as closely as possible.

What I do when I need to generate labels is to use either NeoOffice (free) or FileMaker (not free). (Recently I haven't been able to get NeoOffice or OpenOffice.org for X11 to recognize data files for a merge. This might have something to do with the suites' new database component, but I haven't explored this yet.) There may be other solutions out there as well, but these are the two that I have used successfully.

Someday I hope Nisus will be able to handle labels ... and merges, too. Until then, I suggest using other tools.

--Craig

(Edited)
brl...

Post by brl... »

Thanks!

I downloaded PRINTFOLIO last night, but so far it does NOT look promising.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/p ... folio.html

BRL...
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

cchapin wrote:Someday I hope Nisus will be able to handle labels ... and merges, too. Until then, I suggest using other tools.
I think this would come perhaps with mail merge. I think that mail merge is the biggest gap in the feature set for Nisus Writer Pro.

As an aside I would say that the method in creating labels with Filemaker Pro is vastly superior to using, for example, a Word table imho. With Filemaker Pro it is so easy to adjust the different aspects of the dimensions of the labels.
Patrick
Hamid

Avery Labels

Post by Hamid »

Avery Mac Label Expert is available for free. It can handle the tedious task of creating and formatting text for printing sticky labels.
There is a a well written user manual and templates.

http://www.avery.co.uk/uk1/downloads/maclabelexpert.jsp
WonkyRuler

Re: Avery Labels

Post by WonkyRuler »

Hamid wrote:Avery Mac Label Expert is available for free. It can handle the tedious task of creating and formatting text for printing sticky labels.
Hi there,

I brought the Avery Mac Label Expert software, it was ok but i wouldn't say it was brilliant.
xiamenese

Re: Avery Labels

Post by xiamenese »

WonkyRuler wrote:
Hamid wrote:Avery Mac Label Expert is available for free. It can handle the tedious task of creating and formatting text for printing sticky labels.
Hi there,

I brought the Avery Mac Label Expert software, it was ok but i wouldn't say it was brilliant.
It's UI is not that great, I agree ... it's Carbon, not Cocoa ... but apart from that it really does the job and is flexible. My wife needed a label program as she works for an organisation that runs recruitment and job counselling fairs and she needed to be able to set up sets of colour coded labels for appointments/sessions. It took me no more than a minute to put one together for her based on a simple .csv exported from a spreadsheet.

I took a look at Label-maker Professional from iWinsoft -- http://www.iwinsoft.com/label-maker-professional-mac/ -- it looked great but it only seems to work with databases built into it, and they are constructed for addresses only as far as I could see, and didn't fit what she needed at all. If you don't like the Avery one, you could take a look at that.

Mark
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

I've recently bought Mail Factory and I am quite happy with it. You can print labels, envelopes and postcards, and the layout engine is extremely flexible, so you are not restricted to addresses only.
Last edited by mrennie on 2009-07-28 07:49:20, edited 1 time in total.