End Note

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
snapshin

End Note

Post by snapshin »

I am thinking of using Nisus vs Microsoft. However, I use EndNote bibliographic software extensively. Does anyone have experience with Nisus and Endnote? If so, please tell me about your experience.
Thanks
Stuart
Stuart
Digimarkus

Post by Digimarkus »

At present I'm not a user of Nisus Writer Express, although I do still keep it on my watch list. Nisus Writer Pro looks promising and I hope to try Nisus out again with this new release. As for Endnote, I know that Endnote can scan RTF documents which works fine with Nisus Writer (or it did when last I tested it). However, I really miss the Cite While You Write functionality of Word/Endnote. To this end I hope that with the release of Nisus Writer Pro, the developers might turn their attention to integration with Sente and Bookends. Both are nice reference management programs in their own ways and import Endnote libraries (in Refer Format) well enough. I know that Sente has a plug-in system that the developers could use for integration. Both of these programs already integrate very well with Word, and OK with Mellel (missing live formatting of references).

I also heard a rumor (can't remember where, think in the Mellel Forums) that in light of Word 2007 no longer supporting Endnote's Visual Basic based cite while you write integration, that the Endnote developers are re-writing this feature in a more open way (likely applescript based), also allowing for integration with other applications like Nisus and Mellel. However, I have no idea if there is any truth in this rumor at all, even if it does makes logical sense.

Still, I would be happy if Nisus Writer Pro would support the Cite-While-You-Write and live formatting functionality via Sente, Bookends or preferably both. This is pretty much the only reason I still "like" to use Word, as I do miss Cite-While-You-Write and especially live formatting of references.
Last edited by Digimarkus on 2007-03-27 10:52:27, edited 1 time in total.
shades

Post by shades »

Digimarkus wrote:I also heard a rumor (can't remember where, think in the Mellel Forums) that in light of Word 2007 no longer supporting Endnote's Visual Basic based cite while you write integration, that the Endnote developers are re-writing this feature in a more open way (likely applescript based), also allowing for integration with other applications like Nisus and Mellel. However, I have no idea if there is any truth in this rumor at all, even if it does makes logical sense.
Just anote: Mellel does not currently support AppleScript.
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Digimarkus wrote:Still, I would be happy if Nisus Writer Pro would support the Cite-While-You-Write and live formatting functionality via Sente, Bookends or preferably both. This is pretty much the only reason I still "like" to use Word, as I do miss Cite-While-You-Write and especially live formatting of references.
I can strongly recommend to have a look on the new Mellel 2.2 with Bookends 9.2 which now offer what you want, if I understood you correctly.
Digimarkus

Post by Digimarkus »

Reiner wrote:I can strongly recommend to have a look on the new Mellel 2.2 with Bookends 9.2 which now offer what you want, if I understood you correctly.
Yes, both Bookends 9.2 and Sente 4.2.2 now have tighter integration with Mellel 2.2. Still, everytime that you add a new reference you have to rescan the document to format the new reference. By live formatting I mean that when you add a reference you can have the integration set up between Sente/Bookends and Mellel/Nisus to autoscan the reference. This is the way that Sente/Bookends/Endnote integration works with MS Word. Still, right now Nisus doesn't really have any level of integration with Sente/Bookends (or Endnote for that matter).

Anyways, I think it would be nice to see this type of integration added to Nisus Writer Pro (in a future version). And it would be great if the integration worked in a similar way to how the Thesaurus is integrated, allowing you to search for references right in the word processor. Or at least like Mellel, giving you quick access to a list of references that you have already added to your document.