NWE unstable after update

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
urj17

NWE unstable after update

Post by urj17 »

Last week I installed the following prompted by Software Update:

2007-05-14 15:34:30 -0400: Installed
"QuickTime" (7.1.6)
"Battery Update" (1.2)
"AirPort Extreme Update 2007-003" (1.0)
"Security Update 2007-004 (Universal)" (1.1)

Since that, NWE has suddenly become very unstable, quitting out twice with no warning, first time at considerable loss of work. I've never had a stability problem with NWC or NWE before. Am in the middle of finishing several projects, the situation is unnerving enough that I've had to stop using it and switch to MS Word.

The updates don't seem directly related, but the sequence was immediate. Any ideas? Anyone else having sudden problems?
yours,
JM
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

After NWX has quit on you, can you send in a feedback report using the menu Help > Send Feedback? It will include a crash log. Please indicate what you were doing at the time of the crash. Thanks.
r-sparks

Re: NWE unstable after update

Post by r-sparks »

urj17 wrote:Last week I installed the following prompted by Software Update:

2007-05-14 15:34:30 -0400: Installed
"QuickTime" (7.1.6)
"Battery Update" (1.2)
"AirPort Extreme Update 2007-003" (1.0)
"Security Update 2007-004 (Universal)" (1.1)

Since that, NWE has suddenly become very unstable, quitting out twice with no warning, first time at considerable loss of work. I've never had a stability problem with NWC or NWE before. Am in the middle of finishing several projects, the situation is unnerving enough that I've had to stop using it and switch to MS Word.

The updates don't seem directly related, but the sequence was immediate. Any ideas? Anyone else having sudden problems?
yours,
JM
I've been using Nisus Express extensively over the last few days and it seems fine. I'm fully patched with the latest 10.4 updates. I know this isn't particularly helpful, but I suspect the problem is at your end. Have you tried the obvious stuff, such as removing Nisus and reinstalling? Is there a preferences file that can be deleted?
dshan

Post by dshan »

When you installed those updates were you running any other applications - e.g. NWX, web browser, email, iChat? Recently it has come to public attention that software update (actually the optimization phase that often comes at the end of the update process) has the potential to corrupt system libraries, and that may subsequently cause system and/or application crashes, if any apps were running at the time the optimization phase was executing. Not really surprising when you realise that the libraries SU is busily updating may well be ones the app is using...

In the days of classic MacOS software updates usually warned you to shutdown any other apps first (or did it automatically) to avoid such conflicts however the Mac OS X updater doesn't do this and so it's up to the user to take precautions. I've heard that the software updater in Leopard will correct this problem and go back to much the same behavior as Mac OS 9.

When this issue hit the web recently I was amazed at the number of people who said they routinely run apps while software update is happening. Would they live in a house while it's foundations were being dug up and replaced? Even more amazing were the number of people who insisted they would continue to do this despite now knowing they were risking system corruption - "I've gotten away with it so far so I'll continue to risk it", seemed to be the attitude...
r-sparks

Post by r-sparks »

dshan wrote:I was amazed at the number of people who said they routinely run apps while software update is happening. Would they live in a house while it's foundations were being dug up and replaced? Even more amazing were the number of people who insisted they would continue to do this despite now knowing they were risking system corruption - "I've gotten away with it so far so I'll continue to risk it", seemed to be the attitude...
Maybe it's a sign of our times, but unless the builders tell us to clear off while he digs up the foundations of the house, we'll tend to stick around. We do what our computers tell us to. :roll: They always seem to know best!

With faster Internet speeds, downloads should come down the line much quicker, so being denied access to your computer while an update is happening shouldn't be too distracting. I suspect this is why Leopard is the first OS to get this treatment—Apple had to wait until the world was ready. Prior to that we were left to take our own chances. Some survived. Some didn't!