leave all fonts unchanged

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tokyodave

leave all fonts unchanged

Post by tokyodave »

I'd like to open a .docx file, edit it with change tracking in NWP, and save it (as a .doc I guess, since .docx is not yet available in NWP), without changing ANY fonts or styles.

I usually edit documents coming from the Japanese version of Word running on Japanese Windows, and I'd like to return them without changing any fonts or styles. How can I set NWP to do that?

In particular, I have trouble with bulleted lists, where Nisus insists on changing the font used for the bullet. I have Switch font in the Languages preference set to "Do not change the font" but it still happens. I check the before and after files by opening them in LibreOffice, and I can see the change. I would be happy to send a sample file if it will help.

Thanks!
Hamid

Re: leave all fonts unchanged

Post by Hamid »

If you Export As... (from the File menu), .docx is available. See if that makes any improvement.
tokyodave

Post by tokyodave »

Thanks, I didn't know we could export as .docx. I tried it, and it worked "slightly" better. The bullets came out (in LibreOffice) as dots, changed to Times New Roman. If I open the original DOCX file with LibreOffice, the bullets are in a Japanese font (that I don't have) and appear as right-pointing arrows that are half filled in.

So just opening and exporting the file with Nisus still seems to change the bullet font. The main text font (a different Japanese font that I don't have) isn't changed.

Could it be the bullet list styles are somehow changing the file? Is there a way to stop that?
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi Dave –

the best way to not change fonts is to have all fonts applied in a doc installed on both/all platforms concerned.

Best HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This is probably a DOCX import issue that's particular to list items. The formatting for such items is stored in a special way that's likely more fragile to disruption during file conversions. If you have a small sample file please go ahead and send it to us. You can use the menu Help > Send Feedback or via email at:

I'd be happy to take a look, but I don't want to get your hopes up. Improving DOCX import and export is a multi-layer process over which we don't have full control.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, tokyodave et al

I wonder whether copying the bullet character from the LibreOffice document and pasting it into the Bullet field of the List Style Properties in NWP's Lists Palette would work. You would need to have the insertion point in a relevant list at the time.

Alternatively, the bullet character they use could well be somewhere in the Unicode section of the macOS Character Viewer, whence it can be inserted into any document regardless of whether you have the relevant font installed. Not having the full font installed may limit character manipulation somewhat, but you may still get by.

If something along these lines does work, you could configure a Bullet List Style in the NWP Style Sheet accordingly. I realize you don't want to alter Styles, but it may just be that this sort of alteration would be transparent in the final product.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Adrian's suggestion is a good one. You may be able to smooth over any font import irregularities pretty easily by editing your document's list style formatting. You can do that in Nisus Writer's style sheet view. Once you select one (or more) of your list style's levels you can adjust the font using the usual tools, e.g. Font menu.

One other thing to pay attention to: check your document's text for manually applied formatting that overrides styles. It's not uncommon for imported documents to include such formatting, which you'll want to remove to ensure that your list style's formatting takes precedence.