Ability to insert sequential number?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
disraeli_demon

Ability to insert sequential number?

Post by disraeli_demon »

Is there a function for inserting a sequential number into a document that will just increase by +1 regardless of how many pages are between instances?

What I'm trying to do:
I'm writing a script for a comic book, which sometimes requires multiple pages of script to describe a single page of the comic. Rather than manually write in a page number for each page of the comic, I would like to be able to label each page of the comic "Page (sequence number)" so that if I decide to re-order pages, the comic page numbers will adjust themselves automatically.

Page numbers don't work for this because they will just give me the number of pages from the start of the script document; I need to count the number of pages in the comic that results from the script.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Ability to insert sequential number?

Post by martin »

It sounds like you might be able to use document section numbers for this task. Those will number sequentially and only increment whenever a section break is encountered in your text (you choose where to insert such breaks). Does that help?
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, disraeli_demon et al

A couple of points regarding Martin's suggestion, if I may.

You can use Section Numbers without having to name them as such if you don't want to. For example, you can write "Page X" wherever appropriate, select the "X" and then Insert > Automatic Number > Section Number. That is, the "X" doesn't have to be one of the Page Number options. For that matter, you could write something like "Scene X" or "Panel X” and then incorporate the Section Numbers.

Be aware, too, that introducing Sections can affect other things such as Headers and Footers, so review the settings in the Sections set in the Palette Dock.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Here are my 2¢ on the subject.

If what you want is for this "page number" to appear in the header or footer, but to only change when the next "page" actually starts, then Martin's suggestion is the best way to go.

But another way to get sequential numbers that stay sequential is to use a purpose made List style. When you define this style make sure to check "Continue through document". The difference is that this method will only appear and increase by 1 when you insert it in the flow of the document (so not in the header or footer). This List style could be attached to a Paragraph Style. Then every time you insert such a paragraph, the number would update (like a heading, but it can continue to update across other headings.)
If you were to try to do the same with sections you would each time need to insert a section break (to update the number) and then manually add the section number in the flow of the text.
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Philip's suggestion to use list styles is a great idea too. You would have more control using lists instead of sections.

There is one drawback with automatic list numbers: they can only appear at the start of a paragraph. This may or may not be a problem for you. One way to mitigate this limitation is by customizing the list style's "before text" to include some constant label ahead of the actual list number, e.g. "Figure 1".