Not working Restart page numbering for sections

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
madpoli

Not working Restart page numbering for sections

Post by madpoli »

Hi, I am working with the newest edition of Nisus. I am working with 4 chapters, all in one doc; each chapter is a section. There is also a section within one chapter.

Now I would like to have an index with the table of content at the beginning. For some reason, the page numbering does not behave. I want all the 5 sections of the document (each chapter section + the subsection of one chapter) to have a continuous page numbering, and the table of content to be without page numbering.

Somehow this is giving me a headache. I was following the logic of section breaks, but it does not work. (Right at the outside, I fail to have the first to pages with the table of content without page numbers) Thanks for your help
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Not working Restart page numbering for sections

Post by martin »

Document sections can be a little tricky at first, but I'm sure we can help you sort it out.

It sounds like you want to set up your sections like this:

1. You should insert a section break after the generated TOC, so section 2 begins afterward.

2. Your second section should have custom headers/footers so you can add page numbers in the header/footer of section 2 and beyond, while keeping the headers/footers in section 1 without page numbers. You can configure that using the options shown in the Headers/Footers palette. Be sure that the selection resides in the second section when you adjust the settings. The palettes always modify the section(s) associated with your text selection. You want to turn on the options "Different Headers" and "Different Footers".

3. Your second section will also likely want to restart page numbering. You can enable that using the Sections palette.

It may be useful to experiment in a simple dummy document to make sure you understand the process before you work in your big/real document.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you continue to have troubles or questions.