How to make two columns w/out flowing text for MAIN text + commentary?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
austinkocher

How to make two columns w/out flowing text for MAIN text + commentary?

Post by austinkocher »

I am attempting to write a paragraph by paragraph commentary for a reading assignment for my students and I thought it would be useful and creative to use a layout inspired by, say, those academic books that include the source text then commentary in the margins. Typically the commentary text is much smaller than the main text and set towards one side. I do not need pages to mirror (that would be even more complicated), but if I could just have one side of the page, say 1/3 width, set aside for commentary, that would be amazing. The issue now is that when you create columns, the text flows from the bottom of the first to the top of the second on the same page. Is there any way to separate out a full column that runs the length of the document next to another column that runs the length of the document, but they essentially function independently?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: How to make two columns w/out flowing text for MAIN text + commentary?

Post by martin »

That kind of column setup is known by several names: parallel columns, side-by-side columns, or non-snaking columns. Unfortunately it is not possible in Nisus Writer. Our section columns currently always "snake" so text wraps from the bottom of one column to the top of another.

The best you can do to accomplish a similar layout in Nisus Writer is to use column breaks. You need to manually insert such breaks before your text reaches the bottom of the column. The hassle is that your text won't ever naturally flow from page to page. You always need to insert a break in each column, otherwise text will incorrectly flow into the wrong column.

Another potential option, depending on your situation: use Nisus Writer's official commenting system. You can include your comments in final output (PDF and printout) alongside the original text.
austinkocher

Post by austinkocher »

Thanks for the clarification and the answer. I'm sure that kind of function is probably quite complicated, so no loss for me. There are lots of other options. I'll probably use a more developed footnote system in that case. Thanks!!
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

This is a recurring problem. As far as I know no current shipping Word Processing program for the Mac handles this style of columns--Not Word, not Nisus, and I don't think Mellel does either.

Odd, when you think about it, since Wordperfect Mac from 1997 could....

In any case, another option is to use tables. Two column table, no border, and whenever you need text in the rightmost column, say, you put it in a cell there and start a new row.

As far as I know that is the best way to handle this exact scenario on the Mac right now.

Well, you CAN install LaTex, install para-columns, and then work in LaTex, but that's a bit extreme to get this one feature. Replicating all of Nisus' features in LaTex is possible, but the learning curve is something fierce.
pob

Post by pob »

Thank you, Martin. Is it possible that Nisus would ever consider implementing parallel columns, AKA side-by-side or non-snaking columns?

Because of the ease of working with multiple scripts simultaneously in Nisus Writer Pro, this software really should be a natural choice for users working with multiple levels of text and commentary, and in different scripts. It really is unfortunate that LaTex has the market cornered on this.

I realize everyday users may not want to pay extra for this functionality, and I suppose it may also be too complicated to offer two levels of the software, but people who need this functionality may be willing to pay a good chunk more money for the program. As it stands, my fallback is Quark for such things (since I know it well and don't have to worry about a learning curve), but it runs something like $700 if you don't want to be roped into their perpetual subscription, which also is not inexpensive. I'm due to purchase an updated license from them soon because I need something that will work on a newer machine of mine, but I would much rather give my money to Nisus.

I also appreciate your input and summary of the situation, Vanceone. (And I remember Wordperfect!). I'll continue to try workarounds as the one you suggest using a two-column table, but I'm afraid everything I've tried so far has been too cumbersome a solution that makes it difficult to focus on the actual work I'm trying to do.

Best to you all.