Align tables

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
GeoffRoynon

Align tables

Post by GeoffRoynon »

Hi, I have two small tables in my document which I want to have next to each other with a small gap between them. One table is left-aligned the other right-aligned but they are not next to each other. How do I move one of the tables to position it next to the other one? I can select the table but cannot drag it - is there a hidden option to allow this?
Geoff Roynon
Mac Studio, MacOS X 14.0 Sonoma
NW Pro 3.3
adryan

Re: Align tables

Post by adryan »

G'day, Geoff et al

As far as I can see, there is nothing in the NWP documentation that specifically describes what sort of object Tables are. They don't function in quite the same way as most Shapes do. In a way, they seem to be akin to a single-character paragraph.

The only way I could think of to place two (or more) Tables side by side is to place each in its own column in a multiple-column Section. You need to place a Column Break after each Table to move to the next column where you could insert a new Table or anything else you like. The Table alignment tools (left, center, right) then operate within each column separately (ie, on each of the Tables independently).

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Adrian is correct: tables are not shapes and cannot be arbitrarily moved and positioned. Tables behave like paragraphs; they are placed inline in the normal text flow.

Aside from Adrian's suggestion of using a 2-column document section, here are a few other ideas:

1. If your table structures are compatible, just create a single big table with an invisible column down the middle, i.e. a column whose cells have no border, shading, or content. This will give the appearance of two separate side-by-side tables, but keep them in lockstep inside a single table.

2. Place each table in a floating text box. You can drag and position a floating text box anywhere, just like any other drawing tool shape.
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

Thanks for your responses Martin and Adryan. Will probably try the single table option with a blank column in the centre.

Will let you know how it goes.
Geoff Roynon
NW Pro 3.3
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

The single table option works well and is almost done, just a bit of tweaking required.
Geoff Roynon
NW Pro 3.3
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm glad to hear that method worked for your situation. It's the simplest way to ensure correct layout.