Unexpectedly large file size

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
sasha.strong

Unexpectedly large file size

Post by sasha.strong »

Hello,

I'm having difficulty with an 8-page document that saves at 6.7 MB and exports to PDF at 17.9 MB.
I'd like to reduce the file size of the PDF, and using online 'PDF compression' tools results in loss of image quality.
(I want the images to be at least 300dpi, suitable for print.)

I've run image analysis as recommended here https://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p ... ize#p38235 and the total image size is 2.8 MB.
I've copied and pasted the contents into a new file and run into the same problems.
Track changes is turned off.

I'm running NWP 3.3 on OS 12.2.1 Monterey, on an M1 2020 Macbook Air.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Unexpectedly large file size

Post by martin »

It seems you found some of our Nisus-specific tips on how to reduce Nisus file sizes. Your Nisus file size of 6.7 MB sounds reasonable enough, so let's focus on the generated PDF.

How exactly a PDF is encoded depends on macOS. Basically Nisus Writer tells macOS where text and images should be drawn, but it's up to macOS how to capture and encode the information into a PDF. That dictates the resulting file size, and it means any advice you receive will be speculative and may depend on your system version.

Probably your best course of action is to experiment with different image data formats, e.g. switch from PNG to JPEG. Perhaps using a PDF image would give the best results when trying to optimize a PDF? Offhand I'm not sure. You'll have to see what results in the smallest output for your system. Good luck! And please let us know if hit upon any solid tips.