Using images as cell background

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
mobydixit

Using images as cell background

Post by mobydixit »

Hello,

Is there a way to insert an image inside a table cell so that it becomes its background?
I'd like to be able to add text on top of the image to create a mail merge file for name tags.

Thanks!

marina
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Using images as cell background

Post by martin »

Hi Marina: this is indeed possible. Here's how you can do it:

1. Select the cells you want to modify (or place the insertion point inside the single cell you want to modify).
2. Use the menu Table > Shading Pattern > Image From File...
3. Use the standard file dialog to choose the image file.

That should do the trick.

Alternatively, in step #2 you can use the Table Cell Shading palette instead of the main menu, in case that's more convenient. The pattern popup menu also has an Image From File setting.
mobydixit

Post by mobydixit »

Fantastic! Thank you so much Martin.
Nisus is unbeatable, really. Many thanks for an exceptional product, offering super support services.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

martin wrote: 2023-08-08 11:49:36 Hi Marina: this is indeed possible. Here's how you can do it:

1. Select the cells you want to modify (or place the insertion point inside the single cell you want to modify).
2. Use the menu Table > Shading Pattern > Image From File...
3. Use the standard file dialog to choose the image file.

That should do the trick.

Alternatively, in step #2 you can use the Table Cell Shading palette instead of the main menu, in case that's more convenient. The pattern popup menu also has an Image From File setting.
I need to do this, and just found this thread. Thanks, Martin! It worked great.

One question, though: How do I delete the background image if (when) I put it in the wrong cell?

Thanks!
Eric

EDIT: Another question: How can I change the opacity of the image (to, say, 20% or so)?
EDIT2: Is there a way to make it so that if I resize the cells (rows & columns), the image will not automatically resize? Probably this has something to do with the drop-down list at the bottom of the Finder-like screen that shows up when "Image From File" is selected. Here is what I see:

Center Image
Tile Image
Stretch to Fill
Stretch Proportionally to Fit
Stretch Proportionally to Fill
Insert File Dialog including %22Stretch to Fill%22.png
Insert File Dialog including %22Stretch to Fill%22.png (22.6 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
After having added the background file image, is there a way to change those settings?
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Eric et al

To delete a background image, click on the relevant Cell, then Table > Shading Pattern > None.

As far as I can determine, you can't alter the opacity of a background image inserted as a Shading Pattern in a Table Cell. You can insert an image in a Table Cell via Insert > Image > Insert Image… and then click on the image and alter its opacity via Insert > Image > Opacity. But this image constitutes actual Cell content, not background, so it will be overwritten by any other data you insert in the Cell. The image does not respond to settings in the Shape Wrap Palette. Curiously perhaps, Control-clicking on the opacity-modified image allows you the option of saving it elsewhere, but the saved image is your original opacity-unmodified image.

Nor do I think you can prevent an image inserted (by whatever means) in a Table from being resized along with its containing Cell. I'm not sure how useful such a feature would be anyway. If you want to have a background image of fixed size behind a Table, a Watermark (in the Tools menu) might suit the purpose.

Finally, having added a background file image to a Table Cell, I think the only things you can do with it are alter its size (by altering the size of its containing Cell) or delete it.

These are the results of my investigations anyway. Someone else may find one or more workarounds.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Thank you, Adrian, for your research and input. Knowing what can and cannot be done is very helpful. Thank you for your time!
Eric
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

Setting transparency would be easy in the original graphic program used to create the image; if not any graphic program can fade it to 20% transparent or so.