Can't seem to create a new template

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
allenwatson

Can't seem to create a new template

Post by allenwatson »

This may have to do with my earlier posts about a bad migration from one user account to a new one, and having to copy a lot of Nisus settings and such from one account to another.
Now, I'm on a new MacBook Pro entirely, with no easy access to anything on the old Mac, although I still can fire it up if necessary. Ihave not been able to successfully copy any of my old templates to the new Templates folder.

The thing is, when I attempt to save something as a template, using "Save As" and "Document template" as the file type, the file does not automatically go to my Templates directory within the Document Manager. It saves as a .dot Word file in whatever my last used folder is. If I copy that file to Templates it does not show in the "Open from Document manager/Templates" list. And if I use "Open With" in Finder to open the file in NWP, Nisus does open it as a new, Untitle document, like it should. I cannot understand why it does not get saved as a proper NWP template. Here is what I see in my menus:
From Clipboard.jpg
From Clipboard.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 256 times
My problem may have something to do with my confusion about where Nisus Documents folder lives. I have created a new one, called "Nisus Documents New" in my ~/Documents folder, and I have gone into NWP Settings for Document Manager and chosen that new location.

Any help appreciated. For now, I can save a .dot template to the Desktop and use Open With to get a new file based on it, but I'd much prefer to have it showing up properly in NWP.
Þorvarður

Re: Can't seem to create a new template

Post by Þorvarður »

allenwatson wrote: 2024-02-21 16:27:15 The thing is, when I attempt to save something as a template, using "Save As" and "Document template" as the file type, the file does not automatically go to my Templates directory within the Document Manager.
The Templates folder you highlighted in your screenshot is not an ordinary folder in Finder, it's a "Special Group".
1.png
1.png (98.22 KiB) Viewed 236 times
When Nisus is installed and the location for the Document Manager is determined, a folder called "Templates" is automatically created in the folder "Nisus Documents" inside the Documents folder. I think this is the preferred location in v3. In version 2 it was in ~Library > Application Support > Nisus Writer Pro > Templates.

Inside this Templates folder (in 'Nisus Documents' folder) three templates are automatically created:
2.png
2.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Only these 3 files will ever appear *automatically* in the Template Special Group. However, we can have new templates appear in the Spacial Group if we add them manually *in* the Document Manager.

This is what you need to do:

1) Create a template file and save it to whichever location you prefer. It doesn't have to be in Nisus Documents folder.
2) Open the Document Manager and click on the Templates "Special Group" (the one you highlighted in the screenshot) to select it.
3) Then right-click and choose "Add Files to Group…"
3.png
3.png (30.98 KiB) Viewed 236 times
4) In the upcoming file dialog, choose your new template file and click on "Add Files".

The new template should now appear in the Templates "Special Group".
The good thing is that we can change the name of the template file in Finder and/or move it to another location, it will be automatically tracked and always be visible and accessible in the Templates "Special Group". We can also change the name in the Template "Special Group", and the change will take place in Finder too.

If we want to create template files and have them *automatically* appear in the Document Manager (that is, not necessarily in the Template "Special Group") we can create a Custom Group. The group will appear in the Document Manager below the separator in the left column. Thus, based on the name, we can have different kinds of template folders, for example, Templates with MLA Style, Templates with APA Style, Templates with Chicago Style, Templates for letters, etc.
And since "Custom Groups" are real folders in Finder, we can also drag files from Finder directly into them, and they should immediately appear in the Document Manager.