Kudos and a Quirk

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Todd

Kudos and a Quirk

Post by Todd »

Hey Nisus people: you’ve done a teriffic job with 2.1. My 200 page document does everything much faster – scrolling, zooming, autosaving, opening, you name it.

Looking at the total experience, I think NWX has really turned a corner. With all the features, refinements, and conveniences, it isn’t just for early adopters anymore. For the first time, I can recommend it to my friends and family.

BUT – there’s always a ‘but’ – I have one big problem: my large document, which had 196 pages in 2.0, fattened up to 223 pages in 2.1! After some snooping around it turns out that 2.1 added a handful of page breaks in odd places and, worst of all, it indented the last line of every paragraph.

What can I do? I may be forced to correct all 1,855 of my paragraphs by hand – not an easy fix. So I’d be grateful if anyone can think of a better way.

Fortunately none of my other documents open this way in 2.1. Otherwise I’d be appalled!
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Todd, I just experienced a last-line-indented glitch, perhaps similar to what you described. It was in a Word document that was originally sent by my sister but that I reformatted with styles in Nisus Writer Express. I fixed it by reapplying the style. I didn't try doing this globally by choosing Select All from the paragraph styles tag, but that might work. I haven't experienced the extra paragraph problem.

--Craig
Todd

Post by Todd »

Extreme strangeness. But in a good way.

While working on the very same document with all the last-line paragraph indents, NWX crashed.

I reopened the document – only to find that it had magically fixed itself! All 1,855 last-line indents were gone. No more unwanted page breaks. The entire document was properly formatted and paginted.

I've closed and opened the document several times since then, and the changes seem to be permanent. A self-healing document. Surely this is a miracle from the shores of Solana Beach.

What a mystery. And a real time-saver.

(I saved the crash report, if any of you techie-types are interested in looking at the code that appears to have saved me from a long evening of tedious work.)
arjay

Post by arjay »

Todd wrote:Extreme strangeness. But in a good way.

While working on the very same document with all the last-line paragraph indents, NWX crashed.

I reopened the document – only to find that it had magically fixed itself! All 1,855 last-line indents were gone. No more unwanted page breaks. The entire document was properly formatted and paginted.

I've closed and opened the document several times since then, and the changes seem to be permanent. A self-healing document. Surely this is a miracle from the shores of Solana Beach.

What a mystery. And a real time-saver.

(I saved the crash report, if any of you techie-types are interested in looking at the code that appears to have saved me from a long evening of tedious work.)
So it wasn't a crash, but a "healing". That's funny! :D