Nisus Writer Pro 3.2 Release Notes
This is a significant update that adds:
- Dark Mode
- Support for macOS Big Sur
- Support for Apple Silicon
- Adds several features and enhancements
- Fixes many bugs
This is a free update for existing users of Nisus Writer Pro version 3.
If you are a user of Nisus Writer Pro version 2 (or lower) this is a paid upgrade.
Version 3 introduced many new features
and requires a new license key purchase.
Nisus Writer Pro 3.2 is the latest version available.
- Dark Mode
- Support for Apple Silicon
- New menu View > Go to Content that jumps to special document content.
- Additional specialized "Go" commands like Go to Text in TOC, Go to Text in Style, etc.
- Inserting a PDF prompts the user how it should be inserted: as text, an image, or sequence of images.
- New menu Extract Text From Image uses optical scans (OCR) to extract text. Requires macOS Catalina.
- New menus Show Font Previews and Choose Replacement Font show the selected text using available fonts.
- Added ability to save, load, and reset customizable colors in the Appearance preferences.
Additions to the Insert Cross-Reference and Add Link to Content windows:
- Added a text search to filter targets.
- Allows choosing a target by indexing or styles.
- HTML and HTML Chapters export has a font size scaling factor option in the save dialog.
- New menu Copy Link to Bookmark that copies a link to the selected bookmark (or bookmarkable content).
- Added dedicated image manipulation commands under the menu Insert > Image.
- New menu Show Linked File in Finder to show a linked image's source file.
- The Document Manager file versions listing allows users to permanently delete old versions.
- Expanded how many palettes show mixed state selections.
- Added Touch Bar items for changing applied text styles.
- The menu Find All Broken Cross-References should include broken intra-document links.
- The menu Insert > Merge Placeholder will list available properties from the last used text (CSV) file.
Compatible with macOS Big Sur:
- DOC and DOCX files fail to import on Big Sur.
- Several user interface (UI) issues and irregularities on Big Sur.
- Hyphenation issues for certain document hyphenation modes.
- Adopted some of the new design aesthetics of Big Sur.
- The table inserter toolbar button did not work correctly on Big Sur.
- The full screen toolbar could have the wrong height on Big Sur.
- Nisus Writer Express can exhibit strange behavior and errors when editing documents with comments.
- Fixed: problems with grouped shapes and z-ordering.
- Fixed: tracked deletions and replacements should not be exported to HTML and EPUB
- Fixed: the Find All Broken Cross-References command did not work correctly.
- Fixed: editing that changes how a table is split between pages in Page View can incorrectly leave residual "phantom" portions of a table on a page.
- Fixed: word count should not flicker so much during typing.
- Fixed: online help search fails to take user to proper web page.
- Fixed: marked text incorrectly discarded when editing text in headers/footers.
- Fixed: automatic numbers in floating text boxes anchored to headers/footers can show incorrectly.
- Fixed: table cell width/height palette steppers can become stuck at certain values.
- Fixed: problems with zoom restoration when exiting full screen mode.
- Changed: reduced (but not eliminated) how frequently unwanted seams/lines appear when redrawing on screen.
- Changed: applying a style that enforces a font should not always strip font size formatting.
- Fixed: editing section properties in the palettes did not always update the palettes correctly right away.
- Fixed: word count can trigger very bad performance for Asian text lacking in whitespace.
- Fixed: mixed state display issues for certain palettes / controls.
- Fixed: inactive split views with text selections that are not visible should not trigger typesetting.
- Fixed: text selections that incorrectly contain invalid character indexes should not trigger exceptions.
- Fixed: interacting with floating shapes can incorrectly alter which shape is frontmost (z-order).
- Fixed: double-clicking to start an edit inside a floating text box results in unexpected behaviors.
- Fixed: merge to multiple PDF files can truncate pages.
- Fixed: document merge placeholders have problems with prefix/suffix text.
- Fixed: merge progress dialog can incorrectly continually increase in height.
- Fixed: styles should be able to enforce zero kerning if they inherit non-zero kerning from their parent style.
- Changed: large bookmarks should draw lighter on-screen highlighting so nested bookmarks are easier to see.
- Fixed: possible exceptions related to menu name localization on non-English systems.
- Fixed: paragraph shading and borders that draw outside of the main text area (in the margin) should not be hidden.
- Fixed: paragraph borders with nested edges can draw improper endcaps when adjacent edges are turned off.
- Fixed: should be able to repeat image resizing commands.
- Fixed: inserting a JPEG image with a .jpeg file name extension should preserve that extension, instead of also appending the .jpg extension.
- Fixed: inserting image files with non-standard file name extension capitalization should preserve the existing letter case.
- Fixed: configuring a document's indexing styles should not automatically add related paragraph styles unless necessary.
- Fixed: undo/redo of image sizing changes could trigger internal warnings or errors.
- Fixed: an expanded Character palette does not show the font list immediately; it incorrectly shows the popup button.
- Fixed: adding or removing Section columns via the palette fails to update the palette.
- Fixed: Bookmarks palette action menu should show all bookmarking commands.
- Added: Table of Contents and Indexing palettes should have an action menu showing all commands.
- Changed: the Bookmarks palette should indicate truncated bookmark names.
- Changed: processing a large selection with many list bullets could fail to respect time limiting.
- Fixed: section line number text formatting should roundtrip successfully with Microsoft Word in RTF files.
- Fixed: some line numbering formats (eg: circle numbers) were not preserved after closing and reopening a file.
- Changed: adjusted RTF sent to Bookends when (un)scanning to prevent possible issues.
- Fixed: better attempt to fix and preserve numbering for paragraphs using invalid list levels.
- Fixed: users should be warned when loading RTF files with damaged list item paragraphs or list styles.
- Fixed: if a find match occurs in text under the horizontal ruler, it was not always properly scrolled into view.
- Fixed: exactly deleting one or more whole paragraphs should not expand the deletion to remove whitespace at the start of the following paragraph.
- Fixed: showing a search results window should never change the active document view.
- Fixed: black rulers in inactive split views on earlier versions of macOS.
- Added: the user should be able to see a full list of file reading errors and warnings when reopening documents during app launch.
- Fixed: rare hang or crash due to scrollbars drawing on background thread.
- Changed: speculative change to attempt to fix possible crash in background text stats calculation.
- Fixed: crash in Configure TOCs and Configure Indexes pane on OS X 10.11.
- Fixed: the menu File > Versions does not show on OS X 10.11.
- Fixed: the warning message that a spelling dictionary cannot be contacted was not correctly localized.
- Opt: prevent macOS from populating the menu File > Versions when it probes keyboard shortcuts.
- Added various macro commands to inspect and change the shadow of text, images, and shapes. See the Shadow object in the Macro Language Reference for details.
- Added new property Image.bareFileName that can be modified.
- Fixed: the paragraphShadingAttributes and paragraphLineAttributesForEdge commands of the Attributes object are incorrectly reported as being unknown.
- Added: macro commands Text.boundingSizeInRange and Text.opticalSizeInRange to help measure dimensions of text in a document.
- Added macro commands that control the width of various sidebars, eg: Set Navigator Width.
- Fixed: macros that create a single text selection inside a table cell should not have the selection promoted to "table mode", even when all text is selected.