Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
NWE slowing down 
Author Message

Joined: 2003-08-14 08:27:57
Posts: 31
Location: Los Angeles, CA
I've been recently having a problem with the rate that NWE accepts incoming text slowing way down. It won't keep up with my typing, and becomes a real pain to use. I didn't have this problem with either of the betas, and I don't think it was there initially in NWE.

I'm still using NWE in demo mode, and wondering if this is a "feature" to encourage me to buy the product. If so, it's having the opposite effect. I was planning on purchasing a license this week, but given the difficulties I'm having with it, I'm not sure now that's a good decision.

I've been using Nisus for years, and playing with NWE since the first beta. I'm disappointed with NWE right now, but willing to wait and give it a chance, if I can get this slowdown to go away.

Running 10.2.6 on a Tibook 667 DVI.

Ralph Strauch


2003-08-14 08:36:33
Profile WWW

Joined: 2002-11-26 11:40:35
Posts: 481
Location: San Diego, CA
Post 
Hi Ralph:

Nisus Writer certainly should not be slowing down on you. We would never add such a feature, even in the demo mode. How long is your document? We have observed that as some people create very long documents, the application will slow down. That should improve in 1.1, due out in about a month.

-Charles


2003-08-14 16:57:58
Profile WWW

Joined: 2003-08-14 08:27:57
Posts: 31
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post 
Charles,

These are short and simple documents, generally not more than 3-4 pages and sometimes shorter. They are client records where I make a paragraph of notes after I see a client. RTF format with all text in a single font, often Geneva, usually 12pt, with 10-12pt space after the paragraph. (I'm using space after rather than space before because the latter doesn't seem to work properly in NWE.) I've got the magnification cranked up a bit to cater to my aging eyes, if that makes any difference.

If you can suggest specific things to look for when it happens again, I'll try to collect more data.

Ralph


2003-08-14 19:18:15
Profile WWW

Joined: 2002-11-26 11:40:35
Posts: 481
Location: San Diego, CA
Post 
ralph strauch wrote:
RTF format with all text in a single font, often Geneva, usually 12pt, with 10-12pt space after the paragraph. (I'm using space after rather than space before because the latter doesn't seem to work properly in NWE.)


Let me make sure I understand here...instead of using a return character separate paragraphs, you are just typing a bunch of spaces? Or do you mean that you are inserting blank lines (using the return character) because the paragraph spacing is not working correctly?

With the length of documents you are describing, you certainly should not be having any trouble.

If you continue having problems, Nisus Writer Express 1.1, due out in about a month, will include some significant improvements in speed so maybe that will help you as well.

-Charles


2003-08-17 09:22:16
Profile WWW

Joined: 2003-05-10 12:36:37
Posts: 6
Hi...

> instead of using a return character separate paragraphs,
> you are just typing a bunch of spaces?

Perhaps he's using the paragraph formatting available in NWE ??

tom


2003-08-17 12:20:53
Profile

Joined: 2003-05-12 08:48:44
Posts: 35
I concur that Space before paragraph doesn't work correctly, and has been seen to crash the program/
John


2003-08-17 12:29:42
Profile

Joined: 2003-08-14 08:27:57
Posts: 31
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post 
Quote:
Let me make sure I understand here...instead of using a return character separate paragraphs, you are just typing a bunch of spaces?


No, as Tom Farrell noted above, I was talking about using the "space before paragraph" and "space after paragraph" formatting built into NWE, and commenting that I was using "space after" because I found the "space before" option flakey and unreliable in NWE.

I doubt that relates to my slowdown problem, though. I included it just to give you a complete description of the enviornment in which the problem was occuring. It looks to me now the the problem is related to my having the page magnification zoomed to between 125% and 150% when I'm writing, as the slowdown seems to go away when I go back to 100%. That's not really a solution for me, though, because my middle aged eyes see the Tibook screen much better when it's magnified. That feature seems to work without causing a slowdown in many other apps, so it should work in NWE as well.

While I've got your attention, another minor feature I'd like to see iwould be for NWE to recognize the powerbook equivalents of the HOME and END keys, <fn-leftarrow> and <fn-right arrow>. NWE recognizes the fn-up and down arrow keys as PGUP and PGDOWN, and it should recognize HOME and END as well. I reported this with each beta, but it never got corrected.

Ralph


2003-08-17 12:38:44
Profile WWW

Joined: 2003-05-10 12:36:37
Posts: 6
Post 
Hi...

You say that:

> It looks to me now the the problem is
> related to my having the page magnification
> zoomed to between 125% and 150%

As an experiment, is "System Preferences / General" set to turn off smoothing for sizes 12 and smaller? If not, try it, set your document font to size 12 and see if things speed up. Perhaps it's not the Zoom, but the extra math, etc, needed to smooth the fonts at that zoomed-display size.

Worth a try...

tom


2003-08-17 20:57:19
Profile

Joined: 2002-11-26 11:40:35
Posts: 481
Location: San Diego, CA
Post 
ralph strauch wrote:
No, as Tom Farrell noted above, I was talking about using the "space before paragraph" and "space after paragraph" formatting built into NWE, and commenting that I was using "space after" because I found the "space before" option flakey and unreliable in NWE.


Ok. I misunderstood you...thanks.

ralph strauch wrote:
I doubt that relates to my slowdown problem, though. I included it just to give you a complete description of the enviornment in which the problem was occuring. It looks to me now the the problem is related to my having the page magnification zoomed to between 125% and 150% when I'm writing, as the slowdown seems to go away when I go back to 100%. That's not really a solution for me, though, because my middle aged eyes see the Tibook screen much better when it's magnified. That feature seems to work without causing a slowdown in many other apps, so it should work in NWE as well.


It should be working for you in Nisus Writer as well. I will see if we can reproduce this at the office. It may be a bug, though we haven't had it reported yet. In any event, I will make sure to test for it in 1.1.

ralph strauch wrote:
While I've got your attention, another minor feature I'd like to see iwould be for NWE to recognize the powerbook equivalents of the HOME and END keys, <fn-leftarrow> and <fn-right arrow>. NWE recognizes the fn-up and down arrow keys as PGUP and PGDOWN, and it should recognize HOME and END as well. I reported this with each beta, but it never got corrected.


Should be there in 1.1.

-Charles


2003-08-17 22:22:16
Profile WWW

Joined: 2003-08-14 08:27:57
Posts: 31
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post 
Tom Farrell wrote
Quote:
As an experiment, is "System Preferences / General" set to turn off smoothing for sizes 12 and smaller? If not, try it, set your document font to size 12 and see if things speed up. Perhaps it's not the Zoom, but the extra math, etc, needed to smooth the fonts at that zoomed-display size.


That doesn't seem to help, but in the playing around I did when I tried it I think I found a solution, or a least have more isolated the problem. It only occurs with oddball zoom percentages.

NWE slows down for me when I'm zooming the text to something like 144% or 157%, but not when I zoom to 150%. I guess there's a lot less calculation to do with an easy to calculate multiple.

But why would I want to zoom to something like 144% in the first place, you might ask? That seems like a silly number to pick. Is would be, if I were actually choosing that number. I've ended up with numbers like that because of the difficulty in getting an even number like 150% using the slider control that NWE provides. It's easier to just get somewhere in the neighborhood with the slider. But I guess now I'll be more careful and type in an even percentage. :^)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ralph Strauch


2003-08-18 15:04:47
Profile WWW

Joined: 2003-04-27 17:44:08
Posts: 17
Ralph writes:

"But why would I want to zoom to something like 144% in the first place, you might ask? That seems like a silly number to pick. Is would be, if I were actually choosing that number. I've ended up with numbers like that because of the difficulty in getting an even number like 150% using the slider control that NWE provides."

One way of working around the slider is to just select the percentage and type in the number you want directly and hit 'enter'. It's saved me a lot of cursing .... :-)


2003-08-18 18:36:41
Profile

Joined: 2002-11-26 11:40:35
Posts: 481
Location: San Diego, CA
Post 
ralph strauch wrote:
NWE slows down for me when I'm zooming the text to something like 144% or 157%, but not when I zoom to 150%. I guess there's a lot less calculation to do with an easy to calculate multiple.


Hi Ralph:

I've filled this as a bug. You should not be experiencing this problem. Be sure to try out 1.1 as we will have some major speed improvements in place.

-Charles


2003-08-19 07:42:08
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software