Drag and copy

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Matze

Drag and copy

Post by Matze »

Hi,

when will the elementary feature of dragging and copydropping a selection by holding down the option-key be implemented?

Kind of a hassle that this is not a part of NWE :twisted:

Best, Matze
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Matze:

This is a part of NWE. Just select some text and drag it. Then hold down the option key. You will see the cursor change to one with a "plus" in it to tell you this will copy.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Matze

sorry

Post by Matze »

Charles
charles wrote:Hi Matze:

This is a part of NWE. Just select some text and drag it. Then hold down the option key. You will see the cursor change to one with a "plus" in it to tell you this will copy.

-Charles
the cursor changes to a plus, but when I drag the rectangular selection appears. i can not drag the first selected text.

Best, Matze
charles

Post by charles »

Matze:

Try starting your drag first and THEN press the option key. We will work on resolving this interface issue in the future so it is not so difficult to decipher.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Matze

Thanks,

Post by Matze »

it works!

Best, Matze
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Earlier this week I was working on some syllabi for next semester, and when I would select the text and drag it into a table, or if I moved text around within a table, it would copy rather than move.

Is there some trick?
George Maschke

Re:

Post by George Maschke »

charles wrote:Matze:

Try starting your drag first and THEN press the option key. We will work on resolving this interface issue in the future so it is not so difficult to decipher.

-Charles
I note that this interface issue also exists in Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.2. It would be nice if this could be resolved in the next bug fix. :)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Re:

Post by martin »

George Maschke wrote:I note that this interface issue also exists in Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.2. It would be nice if this could be resolved in the next bug fix. :)
It's true that the option-key behavior is the same in NWP 2.0.2, but we no longer consider this to be an issue. Holding the option key before a click/drag to enter the rectangular selection mode may have been unexpected in 2004 (when this thread was first written), but I think it's somewhat standard now (eg: the behavior is the same in Apple's TextEdit and other applications).
George Maschke

Re: Drag and copy

Post by George Maschke »

Martin,

Actually, the behavior of Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.2 is different from that of other applications in an important way. For example, with Text Edit, Microsoft Word 2011, or Pages '09, you can 1) first select some text, then 2) press the Option key and 3) click on and drag the selected text to paste a copy of it. Nisus Writer Pro doesn't do this. Instead, the fact that you have already selected the text you want to drag and copy is ignored, and a vertical selection is attempted when you try to drag and copy.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Drag and copy

Post by martin »

Thanks for the clarification George. I see what you mean and I'll make sure we have that behavior filed as something to look at changing.