EPS graphics eventually won't display or print until Quit

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Post Reply
withoutFeathers
Posts: 68
Joined: 2013-03-19 16:22:50

EPS graphics eventually won't display or print until Quit

Post by withoutFeathers » 2013-10-02 14:36:29

Hi,
Here's an issue that is becoming increasingly problematic for me.

1. Insert eps graphic into text Nisus 2 document. Displays fine.
2. Edit document for a few hours, or sometimes a few days.
3. Suddenly graphic just shows an x-box with the name of the file.
4. Printing will also just show a box.
5. Quitting Nisus and re-opening will return the graphic so that it displays and prints correctly.
6. Eventually it disappears again, and just shows a box.
7. Quit Nisus, re-open file.
8. Repeat ad nauseam.

Unfortunately I'm working on three separate books now that have eps files, and have more upcoming. I could ignore this when a book only had 1 or 2 eps graphics, but now I've got some with dozens of instances of the same eps (used as a divider), and many more as well.

Any workaround?
Does this happen to anybody else? If so, is this on a bug list?

I'm using 2.0.5 (it was happening before the update to 2.0.5; no change).

Thanks

wF

User avatar
martin
Official Nisus Person
Posts: 4251
Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: EPS graphics eventually won't display or print until Qui

Post by martin » 2013-10-02 15:36:36

This bug isn't one that we've heard of yet. If I could please ask you for some more information:
withoutFeathers wrote:1. Insert eps graphic into text Nisus 2 document. Displays fine.
2. Edit document for a few hours, or sometimes a few days.
3. Suddenly graphic just shows an x-box with the name of the file.
I assume you leave the file open for editing the entire time, saving it multiple times in those hours/days, but you never close and re-open it. Once you re-open it the images appear as expected. Is that correct?

Are the images that turn into the "x-box" placeholders linked images? In other words, when you insert the image, do you checkmark the "Link to File" option?

As always with any potential NWP bug, it would be good to send in a feedback report using the Help menu just after the error occurs. If you enable diagnostic information in the feedback reporter it's possible we'll be able to see the cause of the problem in the collected logs.

withoutFeathers
Posts: 68
Joined: 2013-03-19 16:22:50

Re: EPS graphics eventually won't display or print until Qui

Post by withoutFeathers » 2013-10-02 16:18:57

martin wrote:This bug isn't one that we've heard of yet. If I could please ask you for some more information:
withoutFeathers wrote:1. Insert eps graphic into text Nisus 2 document. Displays fine.
2. Edit document for a few hours, or sometimes a few days.
3. Suddenly graphic just shows an x-box with the name of the file.
I assume you leave the file open for editing the entire time, saving it multiple times in those hours/days, but you never close and re-open it. Once you re-open it the images appear as expected. Is that correct?
No, I'll recheck this the next time it happens, but I'm pretty sure Close/Re-open FILE doesn't solve it; only quitting NISUS and then re-opening solves it (temporarily).
martin wrote: Are the images that turn into the "x-box" placeholders linked images? In other words, when you insert the image, do you checkmark the "Link to File" option?
No, they're all embedded. Or at least they should be. I insert images with the 'link to' unchecked.
Q: Is there any way to check them now, to see if they are actually embedded there, as opposed to linked?
As always with any potential NWP bug, it would be good to send in a feedback report using the Help menu just after the error occurs. If you enable diagnostic information in the feedback reporter it's possible we'll be able to see the cause of the problem in the collected logs.
When I notice it I don't know how long before that it has happened (although characteristically it would only be a few minutes). Right now the eps are all visible. So the next time they've turned into boxes, I:
--open feedback
--describe what happened
--enable diagnostic log
--send that?
I'd prefer not to be sending the whole book, which is the file I'm working on.

wF

User avatar
martin
Official Nisus Person
Posts: 4251
Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: EPS graphics eventually won't display or print until Qui

Post by martin » 2013-10-02 16:26:05

withoutFeathers wrote:No, I'll recheck this the next time it happens, but I'm pretty sure Close/Re-open FILE doesn't solve it; only quitting NISUS and then re-opening solves it (temporarily).
Thank you for the clarification– I read your initial post too quickly. All is clear now.

Well, it's a strange error, as NWP should be completely refreshing the image if you close and re-open a document.
When I notice it I don't know how long before that it has happened (although characteristically it would only be a few minutes)
That's okay as errors/warnings persist in the collected logs for some time, even days, depending on when OSX gets around to rotating them. And although having a copy of the document is always useful, it isn't necessary to inspect the log files.

One thing to try: once an image turns into one of the "x-box" placeholders, what happens if you copy-paste it into a new document? Does the pasted copy appear properly?

Thanks for your help, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Post Reply