Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
NWP 2.1.1 – export to .doc (binary) and .docx faulty? 
Author Message

Joined: 2008-06-18 03:06:03
Posts: 20
Location: Toggenburg, Switzerland
Hi there,

when exporting longish RTF documents as .doc (binary) or .docx, NWP 2.1.1 produces either corrupt files or files stripped of any comments and tracked changes for me. 500 KB RTF documents result in 15-100 KB Word docs. Neither Word, LibreOffice, nor Nisus can correctly open affected doc/docx. While exporting, Nisus doesn’t pop up errors or warnings.

Documents in question are about 150-250 pages long, may or may not include footnotes, and are using paragraph and character styles. I’m on OSX 10.10.3.

Any idea what’s going wrong? I’ve set the importer options to “LibreOffice”, in case this also impacts file export.

Cheers,
-Sascha

Edit: When opening the original RTF in LibreOffice 4.4.3.2, then exporting to either .doc or .docx, the files are fine, all tracked changes and / or comments are included.

_________________
Sascha “nggalai” Erni, .rb


2015-05-29 09:25:16
Profile WWW
Official Nisus Person
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Posts: 4251
Location: San Diego, CA
Hello Sascha: I'm sorry you've had trouble with DOC and DOCX export. Would you be able to send us your RTF files, so we can investigate the problem?

Also, is there any reason you're choosing to export in these formats, instead of transferring the documents using RTF? You'll always see the best fidelity using RTF, as that's Nisus Writer's native file format and doesn't require the use of an importer/exporter.


2015-05-29 14:40:12
Profile WWW

Joined: 2008-06-18 03:06:03
Posts: 20
Location: Toggenburg, Switzerland
Hi Martin,

I’ll send you guys an example file over the week-end. :)

Main reason I need to export to binary doc / docx: I sometimes have customers who are not well-versed with file formats, using wonky (Windows) installations, resulting in both RTF and renamed .DOC to open in Word Pad rather than Word or OpenOffice / LibreOffice. In such cases, binary .doc or .docx makes sure the right application opens, saving both my customers and me time (no “the document looks weird, and where are the comments?“ – “What application did you open the file with?” mail exchanges). Whenever possible, I send RTF files. Thankfully, my own publisher can deal with them just fine and doesn’t go all “where are the Word documents you were supposed to send us?”

Cheers,
-Sascha

P.S. Come to think of it, all affeced files started life as .docx on customer’s Windows computers. Perhaps the problems I see are from a combination of importing .docx to Nisus, working with the files, exporting to .docx again. Far larger manuscripts that started as RTF don’t show this behaviour for me. I’ll see what I come up with and include my findings with the support mail / attached document.

_________________
Sascha “nggalai” Erni, .rb


2015-05-29 22:35:17
Profile WWW
Official Nisus Person
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Posts: 4251
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Main reason I need to export to binary doc / docx: I sometimes have customers who are not well-versed with file formats, using wonky (Windows) installations, resulting in both RTF and renamed .DOC to open in Word Pad rather than Word or OpenOffice / LibreOffice.

Do you mean that using the "Save As" menu in Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) — where a file is saved with the .doc file extension, but internally contains RTF data — incorrectly opens in Word Pad on Windows? That would be unfortunate, and is something I've not myself seen.

Quote:
Perhaps the problems I see are from a combination of importing .docx to Nisus, working with the files, exporting to .docx again. Far larger manuscripts that started as RTF don’t show this behaviour for me. I’ll see what I come up with and include my findings with the support mail / attached document.

That's a possibility, though isn't too likely a factor. Well it sounds like something in your document content is certainly preventing the successful DOC / DOCX export. Thanks for your help in narrowing this down Sascha.


2015-06-01 23:40:36
Profile WWW

Joined: 2008-06-18 03:06:03
Posts: 20
Location: Toggenburg, Switzerland
martin wrote:
Do you mean that using the "Save As" menu in Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) — where a file is saved with the .doc file extension, but internally contains RTF data — incorrectly opens in Word Pad on Windows? That would be unfortunate, and is something I've not myself seen.


I’ve seen it a couple of times, as said with “wonky” Windows installations. One customer in particular, I wonder how he gets any work done. He still has MS Works installed, a Trial for MS Office 2008 (or 2007?), AND Office 365. I didn’t even know it was possible to have multiple Word versions installed on one PC. When he double-clicks a file, it’s pretty random what application will open. Oh, well. ;)

martin wrote:
That's a possibility, though isn't too likely a factor. Well it sounds like something in your document content is certainly preventing the successful DOC / DOCX export. Thanks for your help in narrowing this down Sascha.


I just sent you guys two example files and a description of my findings and guesses. I hope I got the right mail, has been ages since I had to contact Nisus support. Quite a good sign, actually.

Best from Switzerland,
-Sascha

_________________
Sascha “nggalai” Erni, .rb


2015-06-02 01:39:34
Profile WWW
Official Nisus Person
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Posts: 4251
Location: San Diego, CA
Thank you very much for the sample files Sascha. We've received them and will reply directly as we investigate.


2015-06-03 17:25:16
Profile WWW

Joined: 2008-06-18 03:06:03
Posts: 20
Location: Toggenburg, Switzerland
Hi Martin,

did you guys find anything? Haven’t heard back from you, but as my mail server has been acting up for a while now your reply might have been lost.

Cheers,
-Sascha

_________________
Sascha “nggalai” Erni, .rb


2015-07-23 21:47:14
Profile WWW

Joined: 2008-06-18 03:06:03
Posts: 20
Location: Toggenburg, Switzerland
FYI: The 2.1.3 update fixed the issue for me. I guess it had to do with list styles moving between different-language Nisus / Word installations?

At any rate: consider done, and closed. Cheers. :)

Best,
-Sascha

_________________
Sascha “nggalai” Erni, .rb


Last edited by Sascha Erni on 2016-03-05 09:39:20, edited 1 time in total.



2016-03-04 11:00:52
Profile WWW
Official Nisus Person
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Posts: 4251
Location: San Diego, CA
That's great to hear Sascha, thanks for letting us know!


2016-03-04 14:51:43
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software